Wilko grow tubes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Scrungee, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    Panicked when I realised I'd forgotten to ask Mrs Scrungee to save bog roll tubes for sowing Parsnip seeds in this year.

Then I remembered buying https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-20-pack-grow-tubes/p/0445617 at end of season several years ago reduced to 50p/pkt of 20 and found 4 packs in one of my greenhouse storage boxes, but might have more (need 5,200 :rolleyespink:).

Has anybody used these? I was wondering how quickly they rot, but was thinking of giving the staples holding them together a light touch with a cordless angle grinder just before planting to help them fall apart.

2. Tinkerbelle61

Tinkerbelle61 Happiest Outdoors!

Ratings:
    +697
    I don’t know about the Wilco grow tubes, but pleased to hear I am not the only one who saves loo roll tubes. I have about 50 that I have folded into rectangle tubes and cut/folded the bottom up to give them a base to keep the compost in.

As I can only grow in containers (until my dream of moving house comes true) I don’t actually know what I am going to sow in them, apart from some peas (and they all got black fly last year): so looking for some inspiration please?

Or do I post them to @Scrungee instead?!! :)

All suggestions welcome!

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Have used the Vitax branded ones, expect they will all come from the same maker ?

They can last for 3 months or so, though do need careful handling as they can get quiet soft the older they become and the wetter you keep them.

Placing them in one of these 24 cell trays helps keep them upright and apart from each other, our sweet peas roots could burst out and mix with the next one if placed too close.

000442.jpg

• Like Like x 1