1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Cecile Brünner kill La Doyenne du Comice?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Howard Stone, May 16, 2020.

1. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    20200515_132525.jpg 20200515_144503.jpg

As you will see Cecile Brünner is really thriving in my garden and she's started to invade the big pear tree. I like the effect but I'm wondering if I should nip it in the bud -- will she completely smother the tree?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      Looks great but anything that grown in a tree will rob light and create more weight on the branches and stops the air cirulating easily any chan chance you can prune the rose a 1/4 out each year I would also feed the pear tree xtra food in the spring , blood fish and bone would be ideal just to help it cope more ...

Spruce

• Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
      +49
      I don't dare use blood fish and bone because every fox in the neighbourhood will come and have a party every night in my garden.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,636
      I don't know the answer but popped in to announce that the "Best Thread Title of the Month" award goes to.... "
      Will Cecile Brünner kill La Doyenne du Comice?
      :yay:

Whatever Cecile intends to do it looks absolutely stunning. :blue thumb:

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,370
        As @Spruce says, some judicious pruning may be in order. :)

• Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
        +49
        When to prune?

(I’m very tempted to just take it all out of the tree, even though it would look amazing in two or three years if I left it. The idea of pruning a rose at the top of that pear tree every year gives me the heeby jeebies - I’d have to call someone in with a triple ladder.)

• Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
        +49
        It's interesting how everyone seems totally relaxed about growing roses through trees on the internet -- I can't find any advice about pruning it, or it being a danger to the tree. Graham Stewart Thomas is equally cool, saying "Those ramblers which are given trees and hedgerows as supports are best left to themselves . . . "

Anyway Cecile is turning into such a glorious plant that I'll give her a long leash, as they say. But if anyone has had any experience of this, please say!

(Today the wind has blown most of the petals off, it's like there's been a wedding with confetti in the garden!)