1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Will cutting the stamen out of lillies harm them?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Dips, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    So the pollen on lillies is very posionous to cats and if they get it on their fur and injest it through grooming it can cause kidney failure and be fatal.

I had an email with the most beautiful lilly in it today and I would really like a few in the garden in future but obviously don't want to end up with a vet bill. My cats love rolling around in all the plants and brush up against everything and are constantly covered in god knows what and have had pollen on their fur quite a few times.

So a friend has suggested that i could cut out the stamen as this is what he does.

Im guessing this shouldnt be a problem and will just stop the plants from being pollinated but would love to know what you guys think

Im hoping this is the solution im looking for.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,387
    I've got 6 cats....it's what I do with my oriental lilies and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm:cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,631
        OMG! Flore pleno and red twin look amazing!!!!

Thank you fern. Gotta have to save that link so once i have money i can get some :-)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,169
          It won't harm them Dips.

For Lilies for display that we bring into the house we always snip off the anthers (the end bit of the stamen that produces the pollen) because it stains clothing if you accidentally brush past them.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1