1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Will electric mower be safe going over a sewage manhole?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by james_uk, Apr 11, 2022.

1. james_uk

james_uk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, i feel like this is going to be a question people read and think is a really dumb question lol

I am not really into cutting grass much and always had it done by a gardener who used to use a petrol mower (and he did used to go over the manhole cover).

I decided recently i would try and save the cost and get a mower and just do it myself, pretty sure its the Bosch Rotak 36R.

I am just wondering with this electric mower if i would be taking a big chance going over the manhole cover, it is very slightly raised and didn't want to just assume that if the gardener used to do it with his it would be fine with my mower as i don't want to break it on it's first use.

Regards

James

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,980
    It depends on how low you have the blade set, its probably adjustable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,156
      Set it to the highest level and go carefully. You should be able to tell by the height of grass being cut if it will clear the manhole cover.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,156
        I'll just add if you are in doubt then don't run the mower over it, instead use a strimmer.

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +611
        Hi as long as the blades are set higher than the obstruction it will be fine but. If you are in doubt run it over while it's NOT running and see if it hits or is close.or as jwk suggests use a strimmer

• Like Like x 3