Will Giles or Kew B.G. ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sal73, Sep 5, 2012.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Finally sunday I will have a day off work and thinks to do , I would really love to visit a tropical garden , but not sure wich one.
    I was thinking of amulree and then will giles or Kew .....they are both same distance from me.
    Any suggestion?

2. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    All look a great day out sal. I'm in London next weekend and hoping to get to kew. You been before? If so how long would you recommend for a visit?

3. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    never been to any of them , would eventually visiting both , but not sure wich one I would love to go first.

4. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    Tough call! I thought Will Giles was great and it's at its best in September. Not much there from Nov to June, I'd think, so I'd pick that one as you could go to Kew almost any other time and see loads. Also you can go to East Ruston garden after Will Giles, well worth a visit and quite close to Norwich, and really make a day of it..

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Amulree AND Kew in ONE day? That's a long trek ...

(Amulree have a 50% off sale on at present - that's perhaps your reason for going?)

There is Urban Jungle nursery near Norwich too - they have a nice show garden (even if you don't buy anything). I did Amulree and Urban Jungle in the morning and Will Giles in the afternoon (last Autumn) - probably less than 30 minutes drive between all three. Will is fascinating to talk to, and very happy to chat - that will spin the afternoon out a fair bit!

I agree with Madahhlia that East Ruston Old Vicarage is fabulous, but I think you would struggle to do both in a day. Both only open in the afternoon and, IMHO, you need to arrive at East Ruston the moment the gates open to have enough time to get round it before they close! Its a good 3 hours to see it all, and take it in. Probably about 30 - 40 minutes drive from Will Giles to East Ruston.

Stay overnight and do East Ruston on the Saturday? or put a date in your diary for one of Alan Gray's guided tours (£40 including a very good lunch)