Will it be ok to move a butterfly bush now?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by HYDROGEN86, Sep 22, 2012.

1. HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +883
    Hi guys,

i have a butterfly bush growing in the front border that i would like to move to a different border will i be ok to dig it up now and move it?
    I also have a hydrangea next to it that i need to move too can i do that now whilst im at it? I am going to plant 2 gunnera in their place that are currently in pots can i plant them out now if i can move the others or should i leave them in the pots until spring?

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance :biggrin:

2. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    It is getting to the time of year to take cuttings, I should take half a dozen cuttings then move your bush. Covering all your options.

Cheers, Tony.

• Like Like x 4
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,634
      Best time to dig up and move that sort of stuff is November, when they go dormant.

• Like Like x 3
      • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,242
        I't's probably still in full leaf so I'd leave it till November or after as John says

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Just a quick thought (but only because I bought two teeny weeny gunneras a few weeks back, only to learn they grow into giants :doh: ), Gunneras like a moist but free draining soil. I could be wrong, but, I think buddlias and hydrangers prefer a different setting? :noidea: If you are going to replace with your gunneras , you may wish to take account of its differing needs. Mind you, you've been here long enough you probably know that already :redface:

• Like Like x 1
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,594
          The buddleja will be fine. I'd cut off most of the top first just to make it easier for you and to reduce the burden on the roots. But if you do that, you may aswell use some of the cut off bits as cuttings as has been mentioned already. Buddleja is one of the few plants where cuttings are reliable enough to work even for me.

• Like Like x 3
          • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +883
            Hi guys,

thank alot for all your advice, i have already cut the butterfly bush back and next dry day im going to move it along with the hydrangea. Im not going to bother with cuttings though i dont need any extra plants and if they die im not that bothered just as long as i have a border with only gunnera in it at the end that will do :dancy: