1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Will it be safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Cherub, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Cherub

Cherub Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I am completely new to this. I have a small garden in the middle of London, in a housing estate that was build on land-fill when the docks were decommissioned about 20 years ago.
    I want to grow some of my own food (spuds, onions, leeks, carrots, possibly rasberries) but I am worried about the possibility of heavy metal contaminants in the soil.

I've has a little look on the internet, and on this forum, but I can't see any obvious way to get my soil tested for potentially harmful compounds.

Does anyone know how I might do this?

I know one option would be to use grow bags/ raised beds but I would prefer not to.

Thanks in advance

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi Cherub,
    I am gutted because I watched a TV program recently about this problem, and they interviewed a producer of home testing kits for contaminants- but I can't trace it! I hope someone else will help... not much to grow outside until spring, so there's time. Good Luck!

3. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Know what you mean Liz and Cherub, it would be helpful and re-assuring if there was a test-kit available.
    It has recently been discovered that we in Norwich have a problem in that the Ministry of Defence in 1963 and 1964 kindly sprayed some sort of gas (which included the poison cadmium zinc) over Norwich 'an experiment to see what effect it would have and how far it would spread'. Local smallholders have found a high content of this chemical in their fruit and vegetables.
    Enquiries are now being made because it seems there is soil contamination in places and also double the national number of deaths from oesophageal cancer because of this! The same experiments were also carried out in Portsmouth area.
    And I wonder if my homegrown vegetables are safe to eat.
    :mad:

[ 07. November 2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: jjordie ]

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  5. Cherub

Cherub Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the links Liz.

If memory serves the whole thing got into the news by mistake 'cos some poor allotment owner sent a soil sample to the RHS to see what sort of plants he should be chosing, and the next thing he knew there were men in space suits taking away his topsoil! I might contact the RHS and see if they have any ideas

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    That's odd- the RHS do a soil testing service [�£25] which tests for soil condition, but their website says it does not test for contaminants!
    I wonder what they found... most sites say that it is leaves and green growth which accumulate any contamination, rather than roots and fruit, so maybe root veg and raspberries would be OK. I found several testing kits for heavy metals in your body, but it's a bit late then! Considering all the trace pesticides etc in bought produce, it's a wonder we dare eat anything.
    Apparently Alpine Pennycress will pick up cadmium and zinc excesses.

7. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Alpine Pennycress sounds interesting Liz. Can I purchase seed from a gardening centre?

8. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
  9. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Hello Cherub, I agree with fellow gardeners above, also, If you have neighbours with a good few years residence in the area you could ask advice from them someone may be able to help. [ I'm recovering rom a BT line fault 5th to today] good luck with your veg.

10. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    I've tried looking on line for AlpinePennycress seed but it doesn't seem to be available.

If anybody has any information would be pleased to know.

[​IMG]

[ 09. November 2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: jjordie ]

11. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Have you tried the RHS Plantfinder site - they may have some addresses of suppliers.

12. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I've looked everywhere I can think of and can find references only to research or wild occurrences, which is a pity. Sorry to get your hopes up there jjordie, I was fascinated by the idea of using plants this way- 'biorejuvenation' is something I've only come across previously as in green manure.

13. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Yes Fran I did, and also spent best part of an hour looking on various sites - but did not find any useful information. I will keep looking. [​IMG] </font>[/quote](don't know why this has come up in bold - must have clicked on a wrong button!)

[ 10. November 2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: jjordie ]

14. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry - tried a search too - lots about the plant but not available seeds. The only other thing I can suggest is approaching the national trust, or the wildlife trust to see if they can provide some seed on a grow and return basis - well nothing ventured nothing gained :D

15. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Thanks again Fran. On consideration - we have lived here practically all our lives without knowing about this contamination but I shall keep looking for information.

[​IMG]