1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Will saved seed come true from Lupin.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hailbopp, Jun 15, 2021.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +685
    D89DA553-75BF-4EF6-BC5A-C89F0BE02ABD.jpeg I grow a number of Lupins grown from Russell Lupin seeds. They self seed a little and I often save these and transplant to a suitable spot. The vast majority are 2 tone mauve or dark pink and yellow. A self seeded has turned out to be a rather pretty pink and white which flowers really well. Am I correct in thinking that if I save seed from the plant and sow it, the resulting plants are unlikely to be similar to the parent plant?

• Like Like x 1
    • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
      Ratings:
      +1,136
      Normally the seeds should produce plants that are at least close to the parent plants. But depending on what kind of pollen the bees have been carrying around there might be a different father.
      So you either have to test it out and hope for the best, or you need to keep the insects out, and pollinate by hand. With that there would be an increased chance of getting the colours you want

• hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
      +685
      Thank you @Black Dog . Thought as much. The bees, not that we have that many:frown: will already have been on the plant and as you can see it is a fair size to have to cover so I will just do a pot luck and see what I get.

• Like Like x 1