1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Will they be ok???

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Sally Parker, May 12, 2018.

1. Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
    +145
    My partner and I bought a couple of plants today (A young Hebe and Verburnum Tinus) which were reduced by quite a lot. But when we got them home we found they were extremely pot bound, so much so that we couldn't break up the roots before planting them in the ground. So we just loosened the soil a bit and put them in....Was that a bad thing to do??
    We both thought that the roots, once in the garden with all the room to move, would just just release them selves and start spreading out. But I'm not so sure now, thinking about it. :sad: I just read about planting pot bound plants and it says you should soak them in water first if they are like that.

So, should we dig them up again tomorrow and soak them in a bucket of water??

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,895
    You only need to soak if they were dry.

I know the usual advise these days is to tease out the roots of pot grown plants, but I dont usually bother, roots are pretty good at finding their own way out.

Only thing I would say is, until those roots escape that rootball you need water them as if they were still pot plants, that is, pretty much everyday during dry sunny weather.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
      +145
      Oh, thanks pete, will give them a very good water every day as we've got a good few dry, sunny days coming up! :smile:

• Like Like x 2