1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wilted Acer

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Lee Hughes, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Lee Hughes

Lee Hughes Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with this Acer please....the leaves seem to be wilting.:doh:

Attached Files:

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,271
    @Lee Hughes
    My first thought is wind especially cold winds.
    However a few questions, where are you in the country, how old is the acer and how long has it been in that position. What is it planted in, have you watered it and how often.
    A larger/better picture would also help.
    Young growth on acers is prone to wind scorch and or sun scorch. The more finely divided the foliage them more prone to damage.
    They are plants of woodland edges and glades so partial shade, shelter from cold winds, moist well drained soil and a good depth of soil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lee Hughes

Ratings:
      +3
      Hi Nige I live on Anglesey N. Wales I've not had the Acer long a matter of months in fact. I've placed it in the corner of my garden where it would be sheltered from the wind. It gets the sun in the morning and is sheltered in the afternoon. here is a picture of the plant in full. cheers for your reply.

Attached Files:

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      Hi Lee,

So you bought it when it had no leaves on ? Looking at the stems with no leaves I think its not been looked after in the past year before you had it...but saying that they can bounce back .... just make sure it doesn't dry out as we haven't had any rain in weeks and most pots are dry if anything of mine is to go buy ...

Spruce

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Lee Hughes

Ratings:
        +3
        Ah ok thank you...I bought it from Garden Express online, an yeah it didnt have any leaves on it.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,725
        Looks a bit like scorch to me.
        I'd be inclined to move it, the cold air around at the moment masks how strong the sun is.
        The sun is as strong as it is in August.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,320
          its the worse on line UK company I am not surprised now you have told us ...

• Agree Agree x 1