1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

wilting cucumber plant

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by slugbug, May 3, 2005.

1. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help? My cucumber plant has started to wilt today. It is in the greenhouse in a growbag with a few drain holes sitting on the soil bed the bottom 4 leaves are all hanging down rather sad but all green the top 4 leaves seem ok.I work nights and it was ok am sunny morning so opened the windows about 2 inches. Bag moist and have tonight built up around base of plant with extra multipurpose compost to cover a few white roots that were in show. It is all female variety.
    Any advice welcome

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,990
    I've not grown them for years but I did sometimes get this problem.
    As I remember its due to cool cloudy weather and can be a real problem. Try to resist the temptation to water when the leaves are limp its not due to dryness, more likely root rot.
    Sometimes they dont recover, keep you fingers crossed.
    pete

3. greenhouse goblin

greenhouse goblin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got two cucumber plants, never grown them before, do i grow them like tomatoes, dont really know much about them, any tips ?

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    All females are simpler to care for but are a bit more touchy about temps initially...at least you don't have to bother nipping out the male flowers

I grow mine similar to tomatoes, up a string or cane, if all goes well they will eventually go mad and take up much more room than a tomato plant though

Its said if you nip the top out they will offshoot and they produce more cucumbers on the side shoots than the main stem....I find they usually produce plenty of side shoots anyway, ...also while the weather is still a little cool now and again... make a small mound of soil around the bottom of the stem this stops it sitting in wet soil and prevents rot/damping off (don't water directly around the stem base)

5. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys
    I cut off the limp leaves and the rest still seems ok.I am keeeping it away from draughs.I also bought another one today just incase I loose it but I am keeping it on my kitchen windowsill a little longer. If they both survive my neighbours can have lots of cucumbers too.
    I think my 9 yr old had been in to see the sunflower seeds growing and may have left the door open.??