wilting mallow

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mrs cloudy, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have a lavatera that has been in for a couple of years without any problems. I just noticed tonight that several of the stems have wilted and i dont know why. I cant see any reason for it and the rest of the plant seems to be ok so far. Any ideas?

2. GardenGerald

GardenGerald Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    It may be that the plant just requires a good soaking but check that the plant is still firmly in the soil. Field voles are very destructive and I have known them destroy plants by feeding on the root system. This leads to wilting and possible death of the plant.
    Best wishes,
    Gerald.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Lavatera I am advised can be short lived, 5-7 years that said mines, still doing fine long after that.

As Gardengerald said, it may just need a good soak cos we are low on the rain we should have had, the only other reason I can think of is that something is attacking the roots. Give it a soak and a feed, and see what happens. If it doesn't pick up - you gotta a problem methinks

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Mrs Cloudy

Although this is mainly annuals, it might apply generally...

this section

>I also observed the loss of some plants by wilting - I suspect that the growing medium used was insufficiently moisture retentive.) <

was pasted from here
    http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Lavatera/annual.html