1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wind Battered greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Rachiepache, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Rachiepache

Rachiepache Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi folks, after replacing my greenhouse glass with twin wall polycarbonate I have realised that it's totally unsuitable due to the force of the wind that my greenhouse catches. It's been torn in half where it was screwed down. I'm reluctant to get glass as I've got kids and don't want them slicing themselves on broken bits. Any suggestions for a suitable affordable alternative? Was considering going with flexibility and covering the entire frame with white tarpaulin or waterproof parachute material. Has anyone tried this? Thanks for any advice

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
      Ratings:
      +238
      Do you have a budget in mind? Can it be moved to a less windy site? Your idea of tarpaulin was also my first thought too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,566
        Welcome to GC Rachiepache. :) I too live in a windy area and when I bought my aluminium greenhouse I bolted it down to a concrete base. I opted for toughened glass and although slightly more expensive it's more than paid for itself. It's heavier, which helps to keep the greenhouse stable and less likely to blow out in gale force winds, it's withstood a force 10 with the exception of one pane. If the glass breaks it shatters into tiny pieces like a car windscreen which is less dangerous should your youngsters come across it.

• Like Like x 4
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Rachiepache

Rachiepache Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          Thanks folks for your replies. I hadn't thought of toughened glass thinking that standing up to the wind wasn't an option but if it can withstand a force 10 gale I'm inclined to give it a try just to avoid starting from scratch. I wish there was something like a tent on the market. Flexible but allowing in plenty of light and a decent size too.

• Like Like x 1
          • alexmac

alexmac Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +196
            Hi how about a poly tunnel regds Alex

• Useful Useful x 1