1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

wind damage

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by sparkle, Jan 22, 2007.

1. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How did people's garden's fare last week?

I came hope to find a fence panel had been ripped off. When I removed it I could see fence panels missing all down the terrace! I think we were lucky, it didn't really do any damage.

2. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Sparkle - we only just put a new fence in this last year, so I'd have been pretty annoyed if I'd have lost any! Fortunately they all held firm! :D

Behind my mum's house one of the neighbour's giant conifers (and I mean giant) has uprooted and has been hanging precariously! His solution to getting it down this weekend was to do it himself and proceeded to cut all the lower branches off to start with, thus making it stupidly top heavy and likely to go over any minute. I haven't heard anything today, but it wouldn't surprise me if it went! We have photographed everything just in case it decides to land in my mum's garden! Grr - some people! ;)

3. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of damage in my village, lap fencing mainly but lots of tree branches everywhere as well. Just had to put some big wooden stakes in the ground next to the middle of my lap fences to stop them rocking so violently as last week. Just repairs mainly and a few extra holes into to my neighbours garden :rolleyes:

4. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Having suffered loss of fence panels over the years I have attached a run of cattle fencing along one side of the fence. That holds it in place, at last I can sleep on windy nights.

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    3 3o foot damsons gone plus whatever they fell on!
    Half of a huge Buddleia globosa (only saw that today). Half a dozen panes of glass from two greenhouses, the other one had no damage at all. Silliest thing was a Saxifrage, encrusted type which was completely blown away into the hedge on the other side of the road. Next doors lost two Eucalyptus trees.
    But, the oddest thing was when my wife saw a HOUSE BRICK fly over the 8 foot hight hedge from out of the neighbours garden and across the lane! Now that was a heck of a gust of wind!

6. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    greenhouse glass... sorry make that the greenhouse. It has been lifted off its base and is now a twisted pain in the neck!!
    Fence has gone.

The flat roof from across the road has lifted off, landed on the car behind mine (phew!) crushing it and sent that car into the back of mine (still only minor damage to my car).

Otherwise ev1 alive and well.

7. Matty Boy

Matty Boy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    kids' slide..removed forcibly from metal frame and hurled into picket fence. Slide one, fence nil.

Still, I had always wanted to remove the plastic slide from its metal steps and frame so that I could sink it into an area of grass bank. It must be a sign!

Also, front door mat completely disappeared, and raised bed polytheme cloches shredded.

8. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Fence panels and my garden arch was all twisted and some of it broken..its now s**** metal !!I lost my greenhouse in the winds before xmas so that was allready a mangled wreck..The wind is an evil elemnent..

9. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just 3 fencing panels and a rickety gate..they were about 20 years old though [​IMG]

We`ve decided to replace the entire 75ft fence so hopefully it`ll be good for another 20 years.

Wildflower, when you get around to replacing that mangled greenhouse, get a round one that doesn`t catch the wind ;)

10. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hex ..I am having no greenhouse till i leave here next year !! i shall have to admire everyone elses flowers and veg this year ..as i am on strike.. :D :D I have plenty of things outside that will flower so it wont look bare..

11. Markr

Markr Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had an extra shed on my plot!
    it was only a year old, and it had to land on the bit i just rotavated [​IMG]
    just glad it wasnt my shed [​IMG]

12. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Like Hex we lost a 20 years old fence and have now replaced it - not a very pleasant experience with trees ripped out or just breaking.

It's an ill wind they say - we can now play golf as the winds have helped dry out the course............

13. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Like Hex we lost a 20 years old fence and have now replaced it - not a very pleasant experience with trees ripped out or just breaking.

It's an ill wind they say - we can now play golf as the winds have helped dry out the course............

14. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    2 x 60 ft trees, a 200yr old beech and a not so old eucalyptus, half another gum tree (45ft+) in a fish pond, 13 other trees (damage is over 2 gardens though)Absolute shambles. Only got my head above the parapet now. More reports later

15. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    No wonder there's not been much sign of you here recently, Jazid! :eek:

You must be exhausted dealing with that little lot. All the best.