1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wind rocked plants. What to do?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jasmine star, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Jasmine star

Jasmine star Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,960
    Hi all,
    I have returned home this evening after a lovely day in Wales with friends to find one of my large Lavatera and Buddleja virtually bent over to the ground :help:
    Both are (or were) around 5ft tall.
    My question is what to do. Will thinning and staking be enough to help them through the summer?
    I have read that the roots may be permanently damaged.

Thanks in advance :gaah:

2. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,780
    Ouch. At least mine were in tubs and able to stand back up (tub all cracked though).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Jasmine star

Ratings:
      +1,960
      I'm sorry to hear that @Jocko
      It's not something I have experienced before so I'm unsure what to do next :wallbanging:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,541
      I wouldn't bother thinning them Jasmine star but I'd bring them upright, heeling them back into the ground, then stake them temporarily for a couple of months. The roots should be okay. In the past I had a Choisya that was buried on it's side underneath snow for a few weeks. I couldn't get to it because of the amount of snow. When it thawed enough to see the damage, some of the roots had been torn from the ground. I carefully dug away some of the soil, brought it upright and re-sited the roots, then back filled. I put some large canes around it to keep it steady while it recovered - and it recovered fully.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,629
        Yes, I'd get them back upright and one or two good strong stakes on the side the wind mostly comes from.

Trouble is they often look a mess after this happens and it can be a long time before they start to look any thing like natural again.

• Like Like x 1
        • Jasmine star

Ratings:
          +1,960
          Thanks @Sheal and @pete :love30: I'll get them staked. I think I may have to do something more permanent too as it is a windy spot and didn't realise they were so susceptible.
          You're right Pete. They do look like a herd of cows have trampled them :doh:

• Friendly Friendly x 1