1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wind scorch on pittosporum

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by "M", Mar 31, 2015.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    My pittosporum "Warnham Gold" has developed brown spots on some leaves and other leaves have gone completely brown.
    Moved the pot today and the back of the shrub (which was against a fence) is fine!
    So, I deduce wind scorch.
    Despite the browning, there is still signs of fresh spring growth so what I would really like to know is if it is salvageable?
    I've tentatively trimmed a couple of the branches (worst affected) but, if I cut out all of the browning branches I'm going to be left with only one half of it - which is going to look pretty odd in it's container :heehee:
    Any and all advice gratefully received, thank you :spinning:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Thought a picture may help ...

DSCF6878 (360x640).jpg DSCF6879 (360x640).jpg

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,305
      Hi "M", I was going to reply before, but it was tricky to visualise the damage....the photos help a lot:) IF the weather is reasonable there, i.e. no sharp frosts or cold winds forecast, I'd trim/ shear it lightly all over and give it a balanced liquid feed. Those scorched leaves aren't contributing anything to the health of the shrub, so you need to encourage the new growth. IF the weather turns nasty again it would be worth draping some fleece over to protect the tender new shoots.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,978
        Sorry, no advice on how to rescue them after wind burn which this looks like to me.

But, ay, I do feel for you as I've been down this road. Tried a couple of Pittosporums coaxed them along but have suffered the same fate, wind damage - I think in general they are prone to this unless you have a very sheltered position. There was no way I could prune either without looking unsightly, so I just gave up and went with nature. I'm not the most patient of gardeners so pulled them up pronto and replaced with something more robust. I do have a windy garden in winter and some Hebes suffer the same fate in my garden, so dispiriting!

GG

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,320
          Hi @"M"

How long have you had in the pot ? did the compost dry out while we had heavy frost they do suffer from mildew and a fungal spot disease as well .

I have a feeling its probably wind chill as you mentioned when its been frosty and being evergreen and not being able to draw water through the roots do to them being frozen and the leaves not getting enough water. It should recover with a light pruning all over or wait for new buds to develop and then a light trim would be ideal a weak feed as noisette has mentioned and keeping wrapped up with fleece sounds a good approach.

Spruce

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,643
            Has the weather really been that bad this winter.:scratch:
            Frozen pots.??????
            Wind chill???????
            :)

• Like Like x 2
            • Spruce

Ratings:
              +12,320
              yes with me

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                Agreed, so I knew I would need to post pictures :heehee: Thank you for your sage advice :thumbsup:

Thank you @Gay Gardener - yes it is dispiriting, but, I won't give up without a fight :heehee:

Thank you @Spruce - the shrub has been in that pot since last June and was kept well watered in preparation for the house move. Likewise when we got here - I could only bring a few of my plants so I knew I had to give them special treatment water wise if I wanted them to survive transition. The plan being I would plant them out from now on.

'Fraid so ... there is nothing to stop the wind in my garden coming from a SW/W direction and the wind here can be on the fierce side :doh: Unfortunately, it is that side of the garden which gets the most sun, so I'd assumed it would be ok. In my previous garden, that shrub lived in my "Secret Garden" so was quite sheltered really.

I'll get the shears out tomorrow and give it a trim (oh, and I found my plant fleece in the loft the other day so I'll keep that handy and an eye on the weather).

Thank you! :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,978
                  @"M" well since yours is in a pot at least you can move it around to somewhere more protected on dodgy days. Let us know how you get on and how it recovers from the pruning. If yours works well I might have another go in a pot. Fingers crossed.
                  GG

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    Will do: but, it won't be staying in the pot. Now I see its vulnerability to the wind, I'm going to plant it in a less exposed area (after it has a hair cut) and, hopefully, it will recover with renewed vigour. If not ... I'll go to Plan B (when I've worked out what that is :heehee: )

• Spruce

Ratings:
                    +12,320

Plan C , AKA compost bin :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1