1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Defender and Spybot

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Beefy, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Since installing W.Def Spybot has dissapeared from my computer. Is there a compatability problem with the two programs does anyone know?

2. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    none mate. but spybot doesn't like adaware...

just some advice for you........win def is a load of rubbish and its not doing your computer any favours.. ;)

3. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Had that feeling as comp hasnt been as stable as im used to since Spy bot dissapeared.I run Norton Antivirus ,Adaware,BT Anti spy,Ashampoo WinOptimiser. Never had any problems with Adaware and Spybot.Anything else you would recomend Im on Windows XP Media Centre Service pac 2.Its a Tiny with a AMD Athlon64 Processor 3000+ ,2.00GHz, 512MBof RAM.

4. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    I run spybot and it picks up alot more than the windows spyware.

5. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sounds to me your running enough mate.

was the spybot search abd destroy version 1.3?

if so then thats the reason its disapeared....download 1.4 ;) and run tea timer.

6. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    by the way Beefy i was given a present yesterday.......a hat with the same signature as you have in your posts lol....

WORK IS FOR PEOPLE WHO CANT FISH

hence i fish alot ;)

7. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
  8. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Got Spybot in and WDefender out and all seems good in the world .Thanks for the advice .Brown trout and Salmon are what I chase and from now to 20 October when the river closes for the season if conditions are right I am out of contact with everyone :D :D Rods and tackle stay in the car and only come home for clothes and fresh bait!

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,415
    Your opinion please PC.M, I recently had someone reinstall windows XP as I had a problem with links. The computer is fine. The repairman rubbished Norton and Macafee and said I was better off getting the cheaper F-PROT Antivirus, I have it now and it seems ok but I was interested to know if you are familiar with it as I hadn't heard of it before [​IMG]

10. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    to be honest i have heard of it but never used it, or even heard a bad word said about it....

I have checked reviews on the antivirus and found nothing to say it is bad in any way.

Here is one review i found which i have pasted for you..........

F-Prot Antivirus for Windows is an easy to use antivirus software package, specially designed to protect your data from virus infection and to remove any virus that may have infected your computer system. F-Prot Antivirus for Windows can currently detect over 57.944 irritating and harmful computer pests. You can always be certain that any new virus is immediately added to the F-Prot Antivirus for Windows detection and disinfection database. In addition to on-access and on-demand scanners (OnDemand Scanner and RealTime Protector), the program also includes the Updater that automatically updates the virus signature files. Updates and virus scans can be automatically scheduled using the Scheduler.

I disagree with the repair man that Norton and Mcafee are rubbish, but i will say that Norton is system resource hungry and Mcafee causes many problems with windows xp.

If the new antivirus does as it says it does then all is good.

11. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    You going to the Lodge John ?

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,362
    Hi
    I have spybot and adaware on my computer and never found any problems with them. Someone then gave me ccleaner (apparently stands for cr*p cleaner) and it does the job of both the others - and more.

I'm not all that well up with this sort of thing. Is ccleaner O.K.

Thanks
    ------------
    shiney

13. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    no mate got a very large network to do today mate....

14. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    depending on the overall stability of the computer, ie.... memory/cpu/resources/operating system, and services packs will depend on the type of spyware and antivirus programs you use.....i'm glad that your system is running ok....some computers can't handle both.

ccleaner in my opinion is not an ideal program to use.......any program that claims to change the registry of a perfectly running computer is not good im my proffesional opinion.....

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,362
    Thanks PCMedic
    ---------
    shiney