1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter bedding

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Philip Hughes, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Philip Hughes

Philip Hughes Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi everyone,

My driveway is just about to be completed (photo attached) and as you can see, I have a couple of spaces for planting. My aim next spring is to have lavender and alliums running up the long, narrow border and a range of wildflower seeds and grasses in the larger border. However, I don't want to leave them bare over the winter. What are the best winter flowering annual plants that would go well in my borders? I want annuals so they can be replaced with my permanent displays in spring.
    All ideas welcome!

Phil.

Attached Files:

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    Hi Philip

I am very fond of violas, which can be so dainty along the edge of a border. They are much "lighter" than pansies, and I find they will flower more readily, being less affected by severe cold.

Of course, it depends how you describe "spring". Wallflowers, and all the spring bulbs could provide you with colour through to May, when you are ready to do your permanent planting. You could then lift them out, as you plant, and pop the bulbs elsewhere in your garden to provide colour, or even leave them in to give you permanent winter/spring interest...

If you are going to plant lavenders, maybe putting them in now would give you a little head start, and their silver-grey stems would contrast nicely with the lush deep green foliage of violas... :)

Anyway, that's my starter for ten. Looking forward to other people's ideas!

3. Philip Hughes

Philip Hughes Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Sian - will violas flower through the winter? Is there anything that will flower between now and February?
    I was thinking about putting lavender in now, but I wasn't sure how well they would cope with the winter? Is it not better to wait until spring to put these in? I have lost lavenders in the past over winter.