1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter crops

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Greecko, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    Hi all,

So I have been at this a while but still a total noob. Had lots of nice seeds bought and beds made fo this year but my work schedule is hectic and I just got nothing done unfortunately.

I cleared my large plot and had to remove the black plastic cover so Ive lots of space. Maybe 10m by 12m or so.

Is there any crops I could plant now or coming into the cooler months? Or should I cover it up again until netx year? I have thought about cover crops but dont want to risk them getting out of control if I dont get time to till them again.

I do plan on setting up proper beds next year for it as befoe it was mostly just potatoes in wee ridges. I have the black plastic some gardeners use to plant seedlings into when you cut holes and was going to around it with bark.

My big issue is weeds, I have the full works. Marestail and bindweed are issues, the bindweed especially took over with the spuds as they are a bugger to remove without damaging other plants.

2. Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
    Ratings:
    +238
    I'd spend the time getting rid of those nasty weeds. I've marestail too, blinking nuisance. I like to grow spinach and chard. Both stand through the dismal Scottish weather. It depends on what you like to eat. Lettuce can be grown too. I don't like it so don't bother.