1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter in the greenhouse

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Welshman, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Welshman

Welshman Gardener

Ratings:
    +520
    Now i know we only just starting to see the fruits of our summer planting. But looking forward, what do people grow veggie wise in the greenhouse during winter months ???

2. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +888
    Limited by overwintering fuchias, pelagoniums etc and the need to have room for an early start, but last year had microgreens*, sunflowers and peas as sprouts in seed trays Also in deeper trays (mushroom boxes) spinach, ethiopian kale, watercress Aqua and cos lettuce Density.
    * medley of uncertain seeds, such as cabbage, cauli,kohl rabi, lettuce; all technically out of date but certainly did grow!
    Greenhouse is unheated, winter was relatively mild here on the Solent coast.
    Sunflowers started in electric propagator. First crop failed due to grey mould, second had a 'whiff' of sulphur.

• Like Like x 3
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,079
      I grow winter lettuce in my unheated greenhouse. Sown in mid August and planted in the greenhouse border towards the end of September. I was picking fresh lettuce right up to May, this is what they looked like just prior to me pulling them all up to make way for tomatoes:

20220502_111748.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,079
        In previous years I've sometimes managed to get spinach to over winter but it's a bit hit and miss.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,530
          Salad leaves for me too. I sowed far too many chicories and endives last year, I'll do a lot more hardy lettuce and things likes mustards and pak choi this year. Also garlic. You can also try things like florence fennel, Solaris F1 is a good one to overwinter. Or carrots too

Here's the greenhouse in May, before I pulled the salads to replace with tomatoes etc IMG_20220501_132359502_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 2
          • Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,575
            I sowed phacelia last autumn and dug it in around October-November.

• Like Like x 2
            • Welshman

Welshman Gardener

Ratings:
              +520
              That needs a damn good tidy up lol……

• Welshman

Welshman Gardener

Ratings:
              +520
              I only got toms, basil, thyme, betroot, lettuce, spring onions……growing in the greenhouse at the moment

59DC3A80-7861-4F15-8DC4-904639339868.jpeg 33CFF411-7880-48C0-874A-77A133AE9128.jpeg 4001EAE5-FD4E-4057-9AA7-419FC7DCFF92.jpeg A217D37F-3EF3-45A6-9500-B97B9393CA32.jpeg FB9043F8-06D6-4D7F-8496-852C4B6668C4.jpeg

• Like Like x 2