1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

winter onions

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by sheelaghm, Oct 22, 2008.

1. sheelaghm

sheelaghm Gardener

Wife and Mum
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cnfs:I'm about to plant out some winter onions (the first thing ever in our new veg plot) I know its a bit later than they say on the packet but we're going for it as we're on the S coast &it's pretty mild. Should I protect them with this garden fleece from pests & possible frosts. Or, I do have a 1m2 plastic cloche I picked up so I could grow them in a square under that. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sheelagh

2. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If as you say they are Winter Onions they dont need protecting from the frosts only from the birds, just netting will do, Winter Onions do grow best in the cold and need the warm in the Summer months to make the bulb grow bigger. So dont cover them with fleece.

I put my Winter Onions two weeks ago and now they are about 4" high. I have now taken the netting off this is on my allotment.:)

3. sheelaghm

sheelaghm Gardener

Wife and Mum
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fancy

Thanks for the advice (they're Japanese I think) Anyway we'll get them in asap and buy a net.
    Thanks again

Sheelagh

4. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You can 'Google' fact sheets on any veg you are growing and it is most useful.:thumb::)