1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter onions

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by golfer, Sep 12, 2009.

1. golfer

golfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    I put jap onions in last year they were fine had a good crop however thinking of trying a different variety in allotment for this winter have anyone tried ( Radar And Troy ) are these two onions a British variety and also ( Red Electric ) are these also British variety.

They are selling them on e-bay also Suttons have some.

2. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was after a bag of red onion sets for over winter. Is it not too late to plant them now? Will garden centres have them or is it just allotments that have them for sale?

3. golfer

golfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Plenty on e-bay and suttons have them dont have to plant them until Oct sometime or sooner if you get some.

Does anyone know about the first question regards Radar and Troy onions are they a british onion.

4. golfer

golfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    I asked the question a few days ago about winter onions but not had any replies i guess people may not have tried ( Radar or Troy ) winter onions also maybe people do not know if they are a British onion ???. Thought i would try them this year instead Jap onions.

5. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  6. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought some of the Radar onion sets from Dobbies the other day. Im getting some from the allotments too but im not sure what type they are yet, just 'winter onions'.

7. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Don't forget quidco cashback on those too!! 7% i think