1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Pansy or Viola?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by GazSuttonUK, Aug 29, 2008.

1. GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    We are going to buy some Winter Pansy's for Wall Baskets and tubs, but what is the difference between Winter Flowering Pansy and Viola's?:confused:

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Gaz the only difference between Pansies and Violas is their size, the Pansies are bigger than the Violas.

Once you have brought the plants you may never need to buy anymore (unless you want a colour change that is) as once the flower heads die off they have seed pods all over the place and Pansies/Violas are really easy to grow from seed you don't even need a greenhouse or cold frame you can grow them on the window sill!

We brought loads of plants last year from B&Q and they haven't stopped flowering they just set seed and keep on coming, although I have set some seed myself and given away loads and they only cost us a £1 per tray too what a bargain that was I can tell you.Hel.xxx.

3. GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for the info Hel.

Do you mean the plants are bigger or the flowers?

4. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Violas are lovely delicate little versions of a pansy. I love them. I would love to find out how to get pansies that flower all winter. Is there something I am missing. When I buy winter flowering pansies they do not flower all winter.:confused:

5. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    I have violas come up in my garden every year, in different places, even though I have never planted any.:confused: 02

6. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My pansy seeds have germinated so I will put them in a hanging basket for Winter display.

7. Captain Jon

Captain Jon Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Some varieties are not suited to winter temperatures, you need to pick your variities carefully for winter flowering (unfortunately I seemed to always pick the oes that arnt much good too)

8. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    bother, I just bought some, didn't check if they were winter flowering..Duh...

9. Captain Jon

Captain Jon Gardener

Ratings:
    +1