1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter shrubs small pots outdoors

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cyberdyne, Nov 8, 2010.

1. cyberdyne

cyberdyne Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,
    I'm looking for some advice about purchasing some small to medium sized (approx 2ft high), Winter hardy shrubs or bushes which can be planted in approx. 12 inch diameter pots please. These are to be placed outside througout the Winter in a relatively sheltered area which receives sunlight up to around midday/ 1pm. Am I maybe asking too much?

Many thanks for any advice.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Topiary? Box balls and the like?

If you have room to store them "off season" then a variety of pots that can ring the changes - so you might have some bulbs planted and then bring those round when they are in flower in the Spring.

A 12" pot is quite small, so will need careful monitoring for water. The plants won't need much water in the Winter, but the pot won't have much "reservoir" so keep an eye on it as we move into Spring.

3. cyberdyne

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your reply Kristen, but you're speaking to a complete novice.
    I'm looking for the names of something suitable, maybe similar to the small conifer in this photo:

[​IMG]

Thank you

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    That looks more than 12" diameter? I reckon you will only get one plant in a 12" pot - unless you plant it more like a hanging basket - but that doesn't really work for the Winter - normally Winter "tubs" would be planted with flowering bulbs

"Topiary" is a bush trimmed to shape - a bit like the ones in your picture, although your picture looks like they have not been trimmed and are probably "dwarf" varieties instead - but a similar concept.

"Box" is an evergreen plant with very small leaves particularly suited to being trimmed into "Topiary".

Here's an example (but that's just the first one Google came up with)

[​IMG]

We have Topiary Box outside out house, and some Holly too (they are clipped to look like lolly-pops on sticks) and then in the Spring we put out a different set of tubs that we have bulbs in - and come the summer we have yet more tubs with bedding plants (the sort of things you see in hanging baskets) plus we have a few others with specific plants that we wheel out for the couple of weeks that they are in flower and look spectacular. As you can probably imagine we have quite a lot of space around the back where the "spares" are being groomed for their season!

5. cyberdyne

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, as I said, I'm looking for something similar to the small conifer, not the whole arrangement.

Great, that's very helpful, thank you.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
  7. cyberdyne

Ratings:
    +1
    Very helpful, I'll buy some small conifers - possibly dwarfs - (although a little late in the year) and give them a shot.
    Thanks again.

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    The do need to be dwarf varieties - otherwise they will be trying to grow anything up to 3' a year!

One thing I forgot to mention. Many conifers are trimable too - they are often used for hedges, for example. They are often sold trained into Spirals and the like. Depends what you want of course, but there is choice of "fluffy" / untirmmed and "formal / shaped" Topiary / trimmed. Good job you want something small otherwise they are horrifically expensive!

9. cyberdyne

Ratings:
    +1
    Good advice! Dwarf untrimmed it is. :)
    Thank you.