1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Squash - Crown Prince - from seeed

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by nightofjoy, Mar 20, 2020.

1. nightofjoy

nightofjoy Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi.

I got a packet of 6 Crown Prince squash seeds. Three did nothing, three took off like rockets. After only about a week I had to transfer them from three inch to five inch pots, and they're completely taking over my growing room. Hopefully I can hang on until the beginning of April before putting them out, but I was looking for some tips on the plants themselves.

They're shooting out long creeping stems with sprouts at the junctures that look like they'll eventually be flowers. Do I need to pick some of these out?

I've never grown squash before, so I'm unsure how many fruits they will produce, but obviously the plant and it's surrounding area can only accommodate so many huge pumpkins, and by the number of what look like early flowers - and applying the same rules as tomatoes, it looks like there's going to be a couple of dozen per plant.

Thanks.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Not a crop we have grown, but as its classed as half hardy think you have started it off way to early as you will now need to keep it protected till the frosts have all gone, but no idea when that is for you as no mention of what county you are in .

You might be able to contain them by pruning back some for its long stems, but think starting off some new seed at the right time is the best way as many plants do not like being held back and may cause fruiting problems later in the year.

As for the number of fruits, depends on so many conditions, lots of small ones or a few big ones.

Typcial seed instructions for Crown Price -

Sow squash seed indoors from April to May for transplanting later on. Sow squash seeds on their sides in small 7.5cm (3") pots of seed compost at a depth of about 2cm ( 3/4"). Place in a propagator or seal pots inside a plastic bag at a temperature of 21-25C (70-77F) until germination which takes 5-7 days. Do not exclude light, as this helps germination. Once germinated, grow squash on in cooler conditions until all risk of frost has passed and squash plants are large enough to be transplanted outdoors. Gradually acclimatise them to outdoor conditions over 7 - 10 days before planting squash outdoors in warm, well drained, humus rich soil in full sun,. Choose a spot that receives at least 6 hours of direct sun per day.

Alternatively direct sow squash seeds outdoors during May once the soil has warmed at a depth of 2cm ( 3/4") and a distance of 90cm (36") apart. Ideally grow under cloches until squash plants are established.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,328
      I sow all my squashes and courgettes in April and plant out mid to late May. They grow very rapidly and need good soil and plenty of water and feeding. They can root at leaf nodes which increases the roots feeding the plant. The less pumpkins you allow to develop the bigger the remaining ones are.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,156
        I grow Crown Prince, sowing mid-April and planting out late May, they won't tolerate frost and the cold nights we get in April will stop them growing and they don't really recover. Sorry but you have started them too early (assuming you are in the UK?). It would be better just to sow another batch at that time.

• Like Like x 1
        • nightofjoy

nightofjoy Gardener

Ratings:
          +20
          Hi. That's a shame, I'll get another pack of seeds.

So are we saying that I pinch out some of the flowers and only let some develop, or do I let the fruits reach a small size and remove them?

Thanks.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,156
          All squashes need a helping hand to pollinate, you need to pick off the males and transfer the pollen to the females. Sometimes insects will do it for you but best to take no chances. To start with they produce all males then you get the females and no males, so be patient. Limit each plant to 4 to 6 fruits, you nip out the growing point when they outgrow the space allocated.

• nightofjoy

nightofjoy Gardener

Ratings:
          +20
          Cool, how do I tell the males from the females? Likely a stupid question lol

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,156
          Plant Sex :)

The females have a small fruit at the bottom of the flower, the males have 'anthers' inside the flower on which the pollen is formed which you need to transfer to the 'stigma' female part inside the flower:
          [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
          • JWK

Ratings:
            +46,156
            To transfer the pollen I nip off a male and strip the flowers away to make it easier to poke it in. Other people use a small brush.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • nightofjoy

nightofjoy Gardener

Ratings:
              +20
              Brill. I shall look forward to interfering with squash :):):)

• Funny Funny x 3
              • nightofjoy

nightofjoy Gardener

Ratings:
                +20
                I'd really hate to give up on these current plants, they're doing so well. Is there no way they'll survive if I can create the space for them indoors until May? I understand they'll be huge..... they're pretty massive now :)

• JWK

Ratings:
                +46,156
                Well you will never know unless you try - I know how you feel having got so far with these plants, maybe you have more space than I was imagining.