1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter suggestions

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by cyberdyne, Oct 31, 2012.

1. cyberdyne

cyberdyne Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, I'm looking for some suggestions about something to plant which will (should) survive through the Winter please. They'll be planted outdoors in pots in a relatively wind-free spot, sunlight all morning but not afternoon, preferably around 4ft maximum height and not too much spread. I considered a miniature conifer but lost one last year so wasn't keen on taking the chance again. Not too fussed about much colour, just a bit of green leaf would be good.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Choisya would grow well in a pot, sarcoccoca with its wonderful winter/spring scent, dwarf rhododendrons/ azaleas, pieris Flaming Silver (green and white leaves, red new growth and white spring flowers), all are evergreen. I hear what you say about conifers but it's important to choose right variety. Taxus standishii is a lovely slow growing yew that is tolerant of everything but waterlogging.

• Like Like x 1
    • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
    • Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,631
      Dogwood (cornus) - the stems give a beautiful winter colour.

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        We only do evergreen topiary for the winter. We have several in large containers that we move to the front of the house for the Winter. Some Box balls, Box cones and Holly "lollipops". Then we swap half of those for containers with Tulips in them when they flower, and after that its the summer containers for a splash of colour before back to monochrome "green" for the Winter.

• Like Like x 1
        • cyberdyne

cyberdyne Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +1
          Thank you to all for the great suggestions. I'm not sure what I'm going to go for but I'm now armed with a good list and am about to head off to the garden centre.
          I'll let you know what I found/purchased.
          Many thanks again.