1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wintering Gunnera

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by raebhoop, Sep 26, 2012.

1. raebhoop

raebhoop Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +167
    My Manicata has done quite well in it's first year..3 foot leaves and around 5 feet height.
    We're at that time of the year now and I need a bit of advice.I was planning to pack a foot of straw over the crown,staked to keep it in place, and leave the leaves to Mother nature....or would it be better if I cut the leaves back at the first frost?

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I'm new to gunnera (well, bought a couple cheap a few weeks ago :heehee: ) but, my understanding is, for winter protection, you use the leaves to cover the crown - by folding them over.

I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong :dbgrtmb:

3. Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,631
    I have read that after the first frost you can either bend the leaves back or cut them back to the crown and use them turned upside down and stacking them over the crown for protection. Or you can use mulch and straw. But do check before covering it that there are no signs of slugs or snails lurking.

4. al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    mine had done carp this year, one new leaf and thats it!!

5. raebhoop

raebhoop Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +167
    This year it would be a miracle if no slugs were knocking about.Don't know about you there are thousands round here.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I don't do anything with mine and it seems to survive fine (although when the leaves "collapse" I suppose they cover the crown - sort-of)

I have read (in "The Garden" sometime during the Summer IMMSMC) that covering the crown is counter productive as it encourages it to leaf earlier, and the emerging buds are what gets knocked over by late frost. Maybe cover for depth of winter and uncover in late Winter - end of February perhaps? to keep the crown cold so it doesn't sprout?

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      I have ducks (and chooks); no plague of slugs or snails.

• raebhoop

raebhoop Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +167
      Lucky you...I'd have chickens too but the cost of securing the garden would be too much.