1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wisteria advice please!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mattp, Apr 20, 2011.

1. mattp

mattp Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently planted a foot high wisteria against a wooden trellis fixed to a sunny wall, it's gone crazy and seems to be growing a centimetre or so a day! Great, and I plan to grow it up, pruning side shoots until it's the height I want and then training it left and right...

But I wonder if I should feed it through (in and then out again) of the wooden trellis while at this young stage, or whether I should just wire or loosely string it against the trellis.

I assume that once the main trunk gets thick enough that it supports itself and therefore putting it against the trellis would be better, rather than risking it growing inside the trellis and eventually snapping through it?

Thanks for any advice
    Matt

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    Hi
    I grow wisteria
    I have trained it up a huge rose arch I have actualy trained it around the post so as its gets older will look realy good as a snake twisting around .

Yes if you weave in and out of the trellis it would eventaly move it about. so loosely tie in for now on the out side

If training up a wall you will have to fix wires and eyes to support the main branches that you want to train left and right these would have to be permanent , plus if you have down pipes from the guttering they will twine round those as well just so you know but the main trunk would eventualy be fine.

Spruce

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I agree, tie to the trellis rather than weave in-and-out. Otherwise the trellis will be a constriction once the trunk grows thick.

In my experience those really long shoots tend to die back I'm afraid, so they probably won't all become the final stature of the plant, but here's hoping :thumb:L

4. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    just a thought, though I will readily admit I have only experience of one wisteria:

Our plant here only winds one way. If I wrap a stem the wrong way, it seems to stop growing, as the plant tries to "untwist" it. If I wrap it the right way, it carries on growing well. So have a look at which way the new tendrils are spiraling, and take that into consideration if you decide to "wrap" around anything.

5. mattp

mattp Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    all very useful

tips thank you all. It seems to go clockwise, so I'll make sure I don't force it the 'wrong' way, and good to know I should just tie it to the trellis. Thanks

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,343
    That's an important piece of advice. A lot of plants only wind one way and they won't grow properly unless they are able to do it their way. :thumbsup:

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    They all go the same way, don't them? Opposition for North / Southern hemisphere though. I thought it was 'coz the pointy bit tracked the sun - so from East to West

Or are there some that go anti-rightway ?

8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,343
    • Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      No, not come across that before, but enjoyed watching & listening, thanks :)

Just in case you ever need the trivia in a quiz:

wisteria brachybotrys and wisteria sinensis twine anti-clockwise, whereas wisteria floribunda twines clockwise. The clockwise gene in wisteria floribunda must be dominant as all the hybrids twine clockwise too.

Courtesy of "The Garden" May issue, which coincidentally I happened to read today :thumb: