1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Witch Hazel

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mike-S, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Mike-S

Mike-S Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

new feller here. I would very much like to have a Witch Hazel in the corner of my garden but have a very limited amount of space. Could it be pruned annually to keep it no more than about two feet in diameter or is that asking too much ?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Mike

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Mike, If you could be a bit more generous with the space for your Hamamelis it would be more practical. Most Witch Hazels spread to 3m and some to 4m, so 2 feet in diameter is not going to be enough!! Hamamelis is a genus of 4 species of shrubs, two from Asia and 2 from North America and can reach heights up to 4m. You can contain it's growth somewhat by putting it in a container but 2 feet of room still won't be enough. There's a few varieties to choose from i.e: Wisley Supreme [bright yellow flowers with fairly strong scent, Jelena [yellow flowers with good strong scent}, Diane [red flowers with a light scent], Jermyns Gold [yellow flowers {yellow flowers with strong scent], Pallida [yellow flowers little scent], Arnold Promise [yellow flowers reasonable scent].
    So, all in all, there's a reasonable choice but it does need space!!

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Welcome, Mike.

Whatever one you finally go for, make sure it is a yellow one. We have a red one in our garden, had it over 30 years and I am disappointed every year when it blooms. The colour hardly shows up against the dark/bare branches of the other trees and shrubs, so it is a total waste as far as I am concerned. And to think that it was highly praised when we got it.

Driving around at this time of the year and seeing all the different shades of yellow ones, I could scream.

Armandii is right, they need more space than you want to give it. Perhaps you could move something else or bring the Witch Hazel forward? They are so beautiful when the branches gracefully go out to the sides.

Good Luck with whatever one you finally choose.

4. Mike-S

Mike-S Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'm going to have to give it a 'good dose of thinking' to quote Alan Titchmarsh and come up with something else.

5. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    Love the idea of getting a witch hazel, just have not found the one yet. Or the place for it.

LOL.

6. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    That's the trouble, finding the one, the site and the space! You need the sun to shine onto the Witch Hazel to show up the blossom - preferably the yellow blossom to my mind - but that doesn't always happen!