1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wollemi Pine - Jurassic survivor

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hornbeam, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    One of the most exciting plant discoveries
    in recent years has been the Wollemi Pine. It dates back to the time of the dinosaurs. Previously known only as a fossil and thought to be extinct, it survived and can be seen alive and well at Cambridge. See here: http://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/Wollemi.htm

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    PS - you can have your own for �£300!

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    I saw alot about this last year, the forgotten pine nestled secretly in Australias rainforest. Fantastic botanical discovery but I think the price is purely reflective of the current scarcity rather than its appearence! Not convinced it looks more than a thinned out taxus at the moment. Looking forward to seeing how and when this variety is made available widespread.

BM

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The whole point is that they are available now and by selling young plants it will improve its chances of survival. See further link to Wollemi Shop http://www.wollemipine.co.uk/acatalog/UKStore.html

Doesn't interest me personally, but it could be "the next big thing" after tree ferns.

[ 25. July 2006, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Hornbeam ]

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    If I win the lottery I will put it on my list. Looks like a nice present the 3 litre one if you are feeling generous.

I have corrected the shop link as I think your full stop got incorporated into the address and spoilt the link

http://www.wollemipine.co.uk/acatalog/Wollemi_Pine.html