1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wondered what this was?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by WolfieKate, May 20, 2011.

1. WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Marketing, then Mum, then tbc!
    Ratings:
    +150
    It just popped up and flowered! Quite tall with short lived purple flowers.

[​IMG]

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Salsify. I grow a great big bed of it and use the leaves as greenstuff for hens during winter and spring as it's hardier than leaf beet. Be careful as those flowers will set seed in no time at all. The seeds have parachutes and will drift all over your garden (unless you actually want them). They look rather like young leeks at first, which explains why I always seem to have some escapees amongst my rows of leeks prior to transplanting.

I let a few plants go to seed and save them for sowing the next batch.

• Like Like x 1
    • theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
      +149
      ...also known as Tragopogon porrifolius, (for us flower gardeners who don't necessarily eat everything) Pretty plant, but as Scrungee says it does seed about the place if you let it.

• Like Like x 1
      • WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Ratings:
        +150
        Thanks!

It was a stowaway I think in a plant I got from the garden centre. Not sure or maybe it just arrived...

Good advice thank you!

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Here's mine (and what your garden will look like if it seeds everywhere!).:

[​IMG]

And some seedlings:

[​IMG]

The flowers open when it's sunny and I've often wondered if they were picked and put in a vase indoors whether they would close up - I'm conducting a trial right now.

EDIT: Brought a flower home, stuck it in a vase and several hours later it had closed right up, so as I expected these aren't suitable for cut flowers!

• Like Like x 2
        • WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Ratings:
          +150
          Thanks scrungee

Wow - great pics... it's a shame the flowers don't last as they're so pretty open. I shall dead head it as I don't want that many! :D

Kate