1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

wonky carrots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by misterroy, Sep 12, 2009.

1. misterroy

misterroy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Looks like those carrots were grown in recently manured ground.

This year, I changed my plans at the last minute and ended up planting carrots in a raised bed which had a fair bit of well rotted manure dug into it. That's not something I would normally do because, it is said, manure causes forking.

I got a very reasonable crop but I reckon about one third of my carrots were forked. Some were highly amusing in shape! Of course, you can still use them in the kitchen, they're just a bit more fiddly to prepare.

3. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    They will taste just as good as straight ones!

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    I agree with what Flinty says, another cause could be transplanting. Any disturbance of the root will cause carrots to fork, so you can't start them in a seed tray and prick them out. Its best to sow them direct or into bog roll inners.

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596

You can avoid the fiddly preparation issue quite easily. Instead of peeling them, as they are so fresh you can just give them a good wash, chop them into good sized chunks (the chunkier you chop, the less flavour they lose in cooking) and cook as normal (I chuck carrots in the wok rather than boiling them, the searing heat seals in the flavour that boiling washes away, the carrot chunks shrink less, and they are ready far quicker).

6. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    For sure, thats the best bunch of wonky carrots I have ever seen.:gnthb: