1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

wood ash and urine?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Octopus Prime, May 3, 2014.

1. Octopus Prime

Octopus Prime Apprentice Gardener

Carpenter
    Ratings:
    +20
    During the storms this year my tree blew over. Im kinda glad as it blocked out a lot of light.

Anyway i burnt most of it and googled what i could use the half bucket of ashes for. I read that mixing them with water and urine makes good fertaliser. Ive done that and have a 25L tub of the mix that has been sat there for about a month and a half. It stinks quite bad.

Should i just pour it down the drain or should i still use it on the plants?

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    It shouoldn't smell of anything. If it stinks, that suggests its been through anaerobic digestion, which is the process that turns harmless wee into some fairly unpleasant chemicals including ammonia.

Did it have access to air while it was being stored?

Wee is the perfect plant feed. Apart from obviously having a high water content, it also contains minerals that are readily used by plants (I did research it a while ago, but I can't remember the mineral content now, I just remember reading that it was ideal). Wood ash contains huge abouts of potassium, which is exactly what plants need for flower and fruit production, so again great stuff.

But, if yours has been stored in anaerobic conditions, the wrong kinds of microbes will have got to work, unlocking the unpleasant chemicals that make wee stink when it goes stale. You've probably made sulphuric acid and ammonia, but I'd wait for a second opinion as to what to do with it as my chemistry knowledge is not tip top.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Octopus Prime

Carpenter
      Ratings:
      +20
      Yes... air tight seal :/

My boy likes to go in the garden and be a hooligan, I didnt want him tipping it everywhere.... or even trying to drink it as he does with the watering cans. Hes only 1 & 1/2, but ive never seen a more curious kid.... everything is on the menu for him

Damn. Ill put it somewhere safe and take the lid off to see if its rescue-able
      And wait for more opinions, thanks for your help

• Like Like x 2
      • Octopus Prime

Carpenter
        Ratings:
        +20
        he has found that the rotting log at the back has lots of woodlice in/on it and has seemed to have acquired a taste for land shrimp... always over there stuffing them in his mouth.

Its like we dont feed the boy!!!
        looked them up and they are harmless, so im not too worried

• Funny Funny x 3
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          I think all kids go through that phase. I think its good that you let him explore and experiment, while at the same time ensuring he does no harm to himself. Too many parents flip out at the very idea, and so too many kids grow up with no immune system and no understanding of nature.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Wee wee does turn to ammonia if kept, saying that, it's part of a fish gut & wood ash fertilizer recipe, so can't be all bad :)

• Informative Informative x 2
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,485
              It's much easier to use them separately. Wood ash should be spread on the flower beds (shouldn't be more than 2" thick but is usually much less than that) and wee should go straight on the compost heap. This saves any problems, and time, with mixing them.

Those of us that are lucky enough to have secluded gardens (or compost heaps) do a direct transfer :hate-shocked: :heehee:. It's also much more convenient, when I'm working in the garden, to wander to the compost heap to have a pee. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 2
              • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,089
                Would that not just turn to gloop the first time it rain? I ask this because there was lots of it in the compost bin when I moved here and it was nasty.
                What comes out of my woodburner is very fine and a small amount compared to what went in.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,485
                It's good for the soil but if you leave it out in the rain the chemicals start to leach out of it. So you want it in situ as soon as possible. Even small amounts are good. So just throw it on the beds as soon as it has cooled down.

I get quite a lot because I have a lot to burn, but it does reduce down considerably when burnt. Snails don't like it much, either. :blue thumb:

I don't bother to dig it in but tend to leave it on the surface. In quantity, it helps to keep the weeds down but gets taken in eventually - either by worms or dug when I weed.

The pheasants love it as a dust bath.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Useful Useful x 1