1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood chip on roadside, can I take it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by rustyroots, Jan 10, 2021.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi All,

On my journey to work before Christmas there was a hold up due to tree surgeons cutting down trees. I went back to work on Thursday, and noticed that all the clippings are just piled up by where the trees once stood about 2m high and 5-6m long. Does anyone know if I am allowed to take these or would it be classed as theft?

Rusty

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,496
    I wouldn't take it best to ask someone first or wait a bit long and see what happens . Did the council cut the trees down or are they outside a residential property ?

• Like Like x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,089
      I would just help yourself. Dont pick it up, then change your mind and put it back down again as legally its seen as fly tipping . Mad i know :scratch:

• Like Like x 1
      • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,860
        Where we lived in Bexhill one side was the Pebsham Farm and Woodlands going either side up the lane, there was regular tree cutting going on, they had an industrial chipper and it was dumped in one area a few metres from our place.... making sure the fairly narrow lane was clear of branches for the extra traffic that was now going to occur. Planning refusal overturned by Mr.I Can do that for .....Now a business Park next to our old place...Farm no more but screened by little trees:scratch:....We kept an eye open about the chippings there. and said to Pebsham Farm owner Mr Worrsham...how had a telephone mast installed on the farm and did know nothing about it!:th scifD36: but he said help yourselves..how kind of him:rolleyespink:

• Informative Informative x 1
        • rustyroots

Ratings:
          +2,946
          Hi Perki,
          They are not outside any residential property, the nearest one is a couple of hundred yards away. I’m not sure if it was council or not to be honest. I might give the house down the road a knock and see if they know anything.
          Rusty

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,496
          Woodchip can be sold to power stations that would be the main problem, it is usually fired back into the van body to then be removed. You're probably ok getting it most trees surgeon are happy to get rid of woodchip for free anyway.

• rustyroots

Ratings:
          +2,946
          When passed yesterday on way home from work. All the wood chip has gone and the verge has been dug over and is now bare earth :mad:.

Rusty

• rustyroots

Ratings:
          +2,946
          No free around these parts. It’s about £40 for a cubic meter and the last lot I had was from conifers and had lots of leaf debris. I had to pick out what I could.
          Rusty