1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wooooo Hoooooo :D

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Katherna, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Finally my tomatoes are starting to change colour :D:D:D

They've gone from being green to an orangy colour not just on one but on 3 out of my 4 plants. 2 are unknown as to what variety they are, 1 is a cherry, the one thats still green is a beef tomato. I'm so chuffed, as everyone seemed to have tomatoes to eat and mine were still green (I don't like chutney either).

I also cut a cabbage, expecting it to be totally inedible - full of slugs etc; but it's not so with our chicken tonight we're having carrots, runner beans and cabbage (thank god I've not much of a sense of smell :thumb: ) and my teenager will be pleased as I've pulled her some more beetroot.

My sweetcorn are growing well, I've got 11 cobs (hopefully) on my 5 plants, they're not ready yet though.

I'm like a kid thats just been given a candy store, my neighbours all think I'm mad as I'm whooping around the garden with my toddler saying "look they're going orange!"

Thought I'd share as I was so pleased.

2. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Well done, Katherna, in a few weeks you won't know what to do with all the ripe tomatoes and you'll have runner beans coming out of your ears :)

3. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, all the tomatoes will get eaten, runner beans can always be frozen, heehee, hopefully they'll not actually come out of my ears - ohhh new jewelery range vegearings, :P

4. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Great feeling isn't it.:thumb:

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Best feeling in the world, your first crop. [​IMG]

6. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It is actually, heehee. I keep telling my mum that my tomatoes are ripening and hers aren't ;) although I did say I'd share the first few with her.

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Katherna you're not alone both Bob and I run down to the greenhouse when ever one of us finds that a new a seedling has germinated and you should hear the noise when we see a new tomato! We are a right pair of nutters but then again you have to be to play in mud and enjoy doing so!:D Hel.xxx.

8. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    well done mine are still green and I'm not sure if I like chutney lol. I'm lovin the feeling I'm getting with growing my own veg

9. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1

OH and I are just the same, a right pair of kids, we just find it so exciting especially when we get to eat something :D:thumb:

10. James Middleton

James Middleton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Katherna,

Sweet corn's develop always surprises me. I planted 80 year plants in May. In Late-July, they started to put out the fluffy tassels and I really started to panic - there was absolutely no sign of any cobs!

3 weeks on however, the cobs have formed and are all now of a considerable size. I can't believe it. Amazing growth in a matter of weeks!

11. Snappers

Snappers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my toms are only just going into flower :-(
    Do you think my plants will be any good? At the moment, I only have a few flowers on them.

12. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The sweetcorn cobs seem to be bigger everyday (hopefully thats a good sign). An extra cherry tom has started to change colour even though it's done nothing but rain for the last few days (maybe they're resigned to the fact it's wet all the time and cloudy), the weeds are shooting up and it's difficult to keep ontop of all the weeds, the beans have loved the wet weather though and have been sending more and more shoots out in all directions (I'd been good and stopped them growing so they didn't form a mat like structure but it's all gone to pot now, have to lift a great swathe up to get to the beans that I knew were there ready to be picked), and the lettuce are holding their own against the slugs - well so far anyway.