1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Workshop music.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Retired, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +5,791
    Hi,

For many years I've tried to get a system of playing my downloaded favourite 60's songs in the workshop; when it was a radio shack I used a walkman to play CD's through a restored vintage radio; this worked fine but CD's only hold about twenty songs.

I then converted our garage into a full time workshop and bought a Sony mini hifi stereo this also accepting CD's but still the same problem of changing CD's.

A couple of years ago I bought an ipod this now holding around 200 songs but now I was into constantly charging the ipod battery; I still hadn't obtained what I wanted; I looked for mains radios on Ebay that would accept a memory stick but all I could find were battery radios;

Very recently I posted a thread on a DIY forum asking for suggestions; just one member kindly posted details of "Smart Speakers" which were new to me but when I looked into these they were much too complicated for my basic needs.

Then I remembered our Skoda Yeti had a USB socket for playing such as an ipod; could I do something with this idea.

I've now bought a new car radio through eBay only costing around £12 delivered; it arrived at dinnertime today. I always have small power supplies so pulled out one at 2A this plugs into a 13A 240AC socket and converts to 12VDC. I already have the speakers from the Sony so time to play around a bit; I'd also copied the songs from the ipod onto a memory stick; this tiny 4GB memory stick will hold up to 1,000 MP3 songs.

I connected the radio to the power supply in this case it was Yellow to the positive (+) and black to the negative (-). Just to test I connected one speaker and inserting the memory stick I switched the power on but it remained dead?

Because it's meant to be installed in a car there's a wire for the ignition switch; this is the red wire; I connected this with the Yellow (+) and was delighted when it fired up; the clock still needs setting because to adjust it the remote control is used and this needs a coin battery (CR2025). Just wonderful now to have 200 favourite songs without hassle and a bonus is random play. I can leave the adapter switched on at the socket this will keep the time correct once it's set and I can switch the radio off so after no end of hassle and head scratching I finally solved the problem myself and in the end it was so easy and cheap to do.

I hope this story helps someone else. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

New radio._0001.JPG

My ipod that's done a good job apart from demanding constant battery charging; at one point I modifield a USB cable identifying the power and signal wires snipping the signal wires in the hope it would charge whilst working from a new double 13A socket fitted with a pair of USB sockets; all I got was massive intereference. New radio._0002.JPG

Here's the Sony hifi with a speaker the other speaker across the workshop to give stereo. New radio._0007.JPG

The connections on the new radio. New radio._0008.JPG
    Under power and working playing from the memory stick. I'll now make an enclosure to protect it from debris and permanently wire it in. Sorted at last so I'm pleased. :yahoo:

• Like Like x 7
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,288
      I'm grateful to live in the time we do Colin, as a massive music fan who likes artists from most genres it's lovely to have all my favourite albums on such a small device, now my entire collection is on a 4 1/2 x 3 inch external hard drive, used to take up about half the spare room! :biggrin: I find it odd that people still occupy so much space in their homes with a huge CD or LP collection. Some people ask me if I miss having the artwork or lyrics but both are available online anyway! :dunno:

Nick

• Like Like x 5
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,594
        I've got both @Nikolaos and the reason I've kept my vinyl is because they are gaining value, although I can't play them. I've not had a record deck for years but there is something nostalgic about listening to vinyl and it's imperfections. I updated the collection to cd's (but not remasters) and I will continue to play them as long as hi-fi systems are supplied with a cd player.

That's a clever idea Colin and serves a good purpose. :) I hope you won't mind me side tracking slightly.

Having recently bought a new car there is no longer a cd player attached to the radio. The problem I have is what to attach to a USB point in the car to be able to play my music? I haven't got a clue.

• Like Like x 3
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,153
          @Sheal just transfer your music to a memory stick and play it from there in your car.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • JWK

Ratings:
            +46,153
            I'm a big fan of smart speakers, we used to have an internet speaker system prior to that. Being able to control the music or get the latest weather or news hands-free is so simple. They are very cheap too. You would need WiFi in your workshop, I don't get a signal in my workshop so I ran an ethernet cable at the same time as when power was installed. I then have security cameras hooked up too.

• Like Like x 4
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,153
              I keep my LP collection for sentimental purposes, I like the artwork and keep thinking I should frame one or two covers and stick them on the stairway wall, rather than being tucked away in boxes. I don't play them even though I have my vintage hifi system, the old record decks have really appreciated in value recently. I just don't have the space to display them. I had all the same music on CDs but I am not attached sentimentality to those and got rid a few years back, all were ripped onto digital storage so I just listen to that.

I wish I had kept my old reel to reel system, sold it years ago which in hindsight was a mistake. They are very collectable now and the old tapes are no longer sold. My old Akai reel to reel was the first non-valve technology deck for consumers with studio quality, today good ones sell for a small fortune on ebay.

• Like Like x 5
              • Retired

Retired.
                Ratings:
                +5,791
                Hi,

Thanks Nikolaos. I converted all my favourite movies from CD/DVD to memory sticks then shredded the discs; I also have an SSD for back up. I found over the years many of my old CD's no longer played so they aren't at all reliable now I back up everything I want to keep.

Smart Speakers appear to be excellent as you say John and so very convenient but for my needs I just wanted to play my own favourite songs hence the set up I'm now creating; I never listen to radio and seldom see much normal TV. I don't trust wifi because I don't fully understand the security implications; I do know anyone using a laptop etc in a cafe on public wifi accessing their online banking details is asking for trouble; I admit I'm a dinosaur and I'm not into all these latest must have gimmicks; I have a mobile phone it's an SOS phone on pay as you go but the only time I ever use it is from Rufforth Auto Jumble once per month for under a minute to let my wife know I'll be home in an hour; I've never been on a plane and never been abroad other than once to Scotland and once to Wales; I live in Yorkshire and am happy with my reclusive lifestyle content to be at home; we've not had an holiday away from home for the last 44 years and it doesn't bother us; there's so much of England we've never seen.

I agree with you John in suggesting Sheal transfer her music to memory sticks then simply play in the car; this is so simple but many like Sheal don't know how to do it so assuming you have the USB socket in your car Sheal do you have a CD player on your computer; if so it's easy (once you know how) to transfer from disc to memory stick; buy a memory stick say 4GB like the one I'm using;

upload_2021-8-26_10-51-23.png

Insert your CD and insert the memory stick into the USB socket on your computer and you can copy directly from CD to memory stick; with practice you can select only the music you wish to copy.

Here's a YouTube link which might help you Sheal but; like most new things it's difficult at first and looks complicated but hopefully the video will point you in the right direction.

USB_0001.JPG

In our Skoda Yeti the USB port is just in front of the gearlever as shown; the memory stick will only go in one way. The 4GB works fine for me and no way will I ever store up to 1,000 songs on it at the moment I've around 200 songs on mine.

If you get stuck Sheal just ask and we'll do our best to help. Good luck.

I'd better get back into the workshop; I'm making an enclosure for the new radio.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Informative Informative x 3
                • Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Retired

Retired.
                  Ratings:
                  +5,791
                  Hi,

An update. I decided to make a simple wooden enclosure for the radio and had an offcut of 3/4" thick English oak already at the correct width so I just cross cut it and mitred it on the bandsaw; next I glued and pinned it leaving it for a couple of hours for the glue to set.

This afternoon I've just completed it having sanded and waxed it; packing was used to give a nice tight fit so everythings ready for connecting which isn't a big or complicated job. Tomorrow morning whilst shopping I'll buy a battery for the remote; I'm not in a hurry for a change because I've no big heavy jobs hanging over me.

New radio_0001.JPG
                  Quick and accurate way to cut mitres. New radio_0002.JPG
                  The enclosure with radio fully installed ready to be connected to the power supply and speakers. New radio_0003.JPG
                  This radio although very cheap new has a USB port here seen with a memory stick inserted. Once you transfer the music to memory stick Sheal this is all you need to do to insert it into your car USB then you're ready to switch on and play.

My lovely wife has asked what I'd like for my imminent birthday; I've got virtually everything I need or even want but I'm considering buying a violin; I've never tried to play a musical instrument so what better time to have a go; I like new challenges and it should be interesting.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 5
                  • JWK

Ratings:
                    +46,153
                    Sounds a great lifestyle, I agree about England there is so much to see and do. I was brought up in Yorkshire and never really had time to explore. When I moved away and settled down South we still visited our family up there but again that's all we did. When I retired I wanted to spend time properly exploring, so we no longer zoom from relative to relative instead going to some of the beauty spots. It's such a varied county we have only scratched the surface. Our favourite area is the coast between Scarborough and Whitby and the N Yorks Moors.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Retired

Retired.
                      Ratings:
                      +5,791
                      Hi,

Thanks John. Yes my wife and I are happy on our own little patch of Yorkshire; until Covid we used to smile watching neighbours setting off on their annual holiday bags packed with long faces and see them return home still with long faces then trying to outbrag each other as where they'd been abroad. When we moved here 34 years ago we had a one year old Citroen 2CV; our new neighbours had mercs etc but ours was paid for? We've spent our time and money improving our own home and enjoying learning and doing the work ourselves. Nothing's changed our neighbours attend gym or play golf which of course is their choice but they then pay gardener; window cleaner and house cleaner etc never considering learning how to do things for themselves; we're all different our lifestyle suits us but will seem boring to many. My wife and I have many hobbies fully supporting each other; life's good.

Not only would I like a violin I might have a go at making my own violin because I've been looking at buying a violin and brand new ones can be bought for around £50 but I wonder as to quality; I've a fully equipped workshop to play in and making a violin would be a new challenge for me.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 4
                      • JWK

Ratings:
                        +46,153
                        Colin, that would be amazing if you could make your own violin and even better if you learnt how to play. My Irish grandfather taught himself the violin and could play all sorts of jigs and scottish reels, he was very good, it sounded like two people playing because he played separate parts at the same time. I had his violin when I was a young boy and inspired by him I had lessons but I was terrible and gave up. I passed his violin, which by then was over 100 years old, to my niece who sadly lost it at school, I don't think it was anything special just a connection to the past.

• Informative Informative x 2
                        • Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +52,594
                          Thank you John and Colin for the information. :thumbsup:

I was about to ask how do I transfer from one to the other but you've provided that too Colin. :)I have a memory stick but it's old so I may have to invest in a new one. I also have a cd/dvd player on my computer so will give it a go. Plugging into the car will be a bit more difficult. There's so many 'bells and whistles' on new cars it's taking me a while to get my head round them all. I'll have to search for the USB point.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +118,482
                            It all sounds great but I'm old fashioned :old: :heehee:. I enjoy playing my old record collection and still play them as well CD's and tapes. I still have 78 rpm records and even some 80's. I have also downloaded some to memory sticks as my car also only has a USB. :mad: I bought a hifi unit that plays all four systems (£105 a few years ago) as I'm useless at cobbling things together.

Re holidays: If it wasn't for Covid we would still have been gallivanting around the world as we enjoy seeing other peoples, their customs and countries. We're not into beach holidays etc. but into mixing with the locals (sometimes living with them) and travelling to out of the way places - but everyone to their own! We're getting a bit too old now to traipse through jungles and rain forest or spend days travelling through deserts but were still able to get to out of the way places. :)

• Like Like x 4
                            • Friendly Friendly x 2
                            • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                              Ratings:
                              +31,935
                              May be in the centre arm rest storeage combremt(could under the tray if you got one)
                              I copy some songs from cd to usb but they wouldn't play i had to convert them to mp3 i think which was easy

• Informative Informative x 3
                              • Like Like x 2
                              • JWK

Ratings:
                                +46,153
                                Another possible place for a USB point is inside the glove box. I mostly connect my phone and play music from its internal memory or listen to podcasts I've previously downloaded.

• Like Like x 3
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1