1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Worm casts in my lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by clueless1, Oct 10, 2012.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    I think this is the ultimate endorsement of all the hard work I've put in. There are worm casts in my lawn:dbgrtmb:

I know many people would consider this a nuisance, but to me its great. When I bought this house, the ground in the back 'garden' was pretty much dead. Severely compacted red clay with no structure to it at all, very little growing in it (even weeds were sparse) and I needed to use the pick axe just to break it up. As I did so, there were no worms. I might as well have been on the moon for how barren it was.

Much work done, compost, manure, sand added, seeded up and looked after, more top dressing, aerating etc etc til I had a half decent lawn. Then this evening, for the first time ever since we moved in, I saw worm casts on the lawn. Fantastic.

This tells me two things. Firstly, it tells me that the ground has been sufficiently improved to encourage a good healthy eco-system in the soil. Secondly it tells me that there are enough worms in there now to help maintain it for me, aerating it with their tunnels, and dragging nutrients about near the surface where it matters.

• Like Like x 8
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Just got the soil right and now you're going to move, been there a few times:sad:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,492
      It gives you a good feeling when you've achieved something like this Clueless. May your worm casts multiply. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 3
      • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,626
        Was on the lawn tonight and after scarifing, aerating and re seeding it's the first time I've seen worm casts and my back lawn too. So must be doing something right then :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 3
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,595
          I've just thought of something.

We're getting excited about the fact that some invertebrate creatures have taken a dump on our lawns. We're a funny bunch us gardening sorts. I wonder what non-gardening sorts make of our enthusiasm for poo:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 3
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Copy this to Facebok & we'll find out:biggrin:

This is nothing, leafmold season is coming up, just wait to see how exited we get then:dancy::snork:

• Like Like x 4