1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Worm Casts

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by pamsdish, Nov 21, 2009.

1. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    We moved here 2 years ago and the turf was allready laid, I have always been of the opinion it was not the best quality,:skp::skp:
    In spring i gave it a weed and feed and i have since had the best crop of weeds imaginable, but the grass that did grow is better. :dh:
    I have also in September bought a new rotary mower, as my flymo was on its last legs and it may, i thought, have been spreading weed seed.:(

I used a lot of coffee grounds with egg shells to repel slugs in my borders, and whilst this helped,I read Monty Don is of the opinion it attracts worms.:scratch:
    My front lawn is covered with worm casts, 100s, in between the weeds, :lollol:
    I am not walking on it, and will be away during the winter so it will be left alone till April.
    What is my best course of action do something now or wait till spring when hopefully it will be drier.:cnfs:

2. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Your best bet Pam is to use a hard bristled broom and sweep them away. Then when the growing season starts again next spring weed and feed at 6 weekly intervals untill your weeds are gone. Thats what I do anyway. [wink] 02

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I can't think of anything to help with your worm problem Pam.
    With regard to your super crop of weeds - as far as I'm aware 'weed & feed' kills weeds by contact with the leaves and if you apply it after mowing when there are few weed leaves showing it doesn't work very well. I use it every spring and find that it works pretty well. Any weeds that escape zapping get an application of spot weed killer.

4. The Lawnsmith

The Lawnsmith Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pam

Worms are evidence of a healthy environment, however, you can have too much of a good thing. If you really want to reduce the amount of worm casts use ferrous sulphate - the worms don't like it!
    Go to this page for more info.

A few other points:
    The best quality turf won't make any difference to the amount of worms or weeds you have 12 months after laying!

If you don't put 'weed and feed' on at EXACTLY the right concentration you'll just feed the weeds along with the grass. I recommend weed killing separate from feeding.

Hope that helps

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    The worms are helping in the long run Pam, aerating and improving the soil. Take takemore02withit's advice. The only thing I would add is if you are using a flymo then rake up and clear away the cuttings, that will reduce their number. :thumb: