1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

worm compost enough feed for roses?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by chickenlicken, Apr 14, 2011.

1. chickenlicken

chickenlicken Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am quite new to rose growing - I have one rose, a Munstead Wood in a container, that seems to be growing well after quite a severe pruning earlier this year! But my question is - will worm compost provide it with enough food or do I need to give it special feed as well?

Thanks very much for any advice

Lisa

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,866
    Hi Lisa what form of worm compost are you going to use, their are many variations and then I can answer your valued question::dbgrtmb:
    Such a beautiful Rose.There is a strong Old Rose fragrance with a, ‘warm and fruity with blackberry, blueberry and damson’. Munstead Wood was Gertrude Jekyll’s own garden in Surrey where she worked on her many gardening books. :)

[​IMG]

3. chickenlicken

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi wiseoldowl,

Thanks very much for your reply. That's a beautiful picture. My rose has about 15 buds on it, I think the young stems are going to have trouble supporting the blooms but can't wait for them to come out!

I've got a wormery and have been using the compost I harvest from that.

Thanks

Lisa

4. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,866
    Hi Lisa I would say that your outstanding Rose should be fine,but just as a second thought what have soil you actually got this lovely Rose growing in,sorry about these questions but we want this Rose to give you years of enjoyment and to do really well.:dbgrtmb::)

5. chickenlicken

Ratings:
    +0
    I think what I used was some leftover miracle-gro potting compost, I potted it last year.

Thanks

Lisa

6. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,866
    Hi Lisa In my personal opinion would,nt give it too much as the compost from the wormery is very concentrated.I barely feed my roses at all,but that is only me,:dbgrtmb:
    You could use it neat as a soil improver (i.e. dig it into beds, veg garden or borders) or as a top dressing (i.e. spread over the surface). It can be used to replenish hanging baskets and containers i.e. replace 25 % of the old compost with compost from the wormery. You can also use the wormery compost as the base for making your own compost.
    For general use - For a potting compost mix 25% wormery compost with 25% coir, 25% Perlite and 25% sand. For a seed sowing compost mix 25% wormery compost with 50% coir and 25% Perlite,hope this advice has been of some help to you:)

• Like Like x 1