1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wormery

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jovi, Jan 28, 2011.

1. jovi

jovi Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    As I only have a small garden, I'm very tempted to buy a beehive style wormery, which I feel would fit in quite well.

I was wondering if anyone had tried them and how successful they are. I'm also a little concerned about what I would need to do with it during spells of cold weather and these seriously low temperatures we've been having.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jovi

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    I've never tried one, but I know a couple of people who have and with mixed results. They do seem to be expensive to run, my friends were having to re-stock with worms quite often. I think if you have the time to look after them and can give them a constant supply of fresh greenery you might do OK, if you neglect them then the result will be poor. But this is all secondhand hearsay, hopefully someone will come along who has tried it for themselves.

3. Musa Monkey

Musa Monkey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have had a "can o worms" wormery for four years now. In that time we have only ever added worms once and i supect we didnt need to, It was probably just me being to enthusiastic.

We since learned that they self regulate the population very well and you can see hundreds of little worms born every spring. In winter we just wrap it around the outside with bubblewrap to stop a total freeze. The worms dont seem that bothered about the weather and have survived -12c here with the above mentioned simple bubble wrap of their home.

The big benefit for me is the worm tea produced by the system, it makes a great fertiliser and there is always plenty of it. The compost conversion rate is in my experience a great deal slower than those supplying these systems would have you believe. But thats only a minor inconvenice and wouldnt put us of using a wormery.

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    MM, I have had a compost heap for years [about 6' x 8' x 5'] which has supplied me well. Would you think a wormery would "conflict" or would you recommend trying one due to your success? Everything from household use and from the garden, that will decompose, goes onto the heap. What's needed to feed the wormery. I use "tea" from Sheep Muck and Cowpats but I could always find a use for more.

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We've two 'dalek' type bins that we use as worm composters and have had them now for about 7 years. The rate of composting is I reckon at least four times faster than the conventional compost heaps we also have, and though to start with I used bubble wrap on the bins in winter I now no longer do so and the worms survive fine.
    Worm compost is richer in nutrients than normal garden compost.

See -
    http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/Thread-Compost-Trials-Results.html

6. jovi

jovi Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated.

I think I'll go ahead and give it a try. :thumb:

7. Musa Monkey

Musa Monkey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no conflict with a wormery imho, we have always had a compost heap as well. The compost heap is much bigger and for us at least, faster than the wormery. I find the wormery give us much finer compost but at a slower rate and the big advantage is the worm tea.
    We use the wormery for kitchen scraps mostly and the garden stuff goes into the composter. If you want more liquid fertiliser i would definately recommend getting a wormery.