1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Worms

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Stingo, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi peeps

I have loads of lovely red worms in my compost bin; my question is why do they come to the top of the bin? Is it because they don't like their enviroment? which is something that I've recently read on GC.

And is it okay to add some used hay?

2. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I used a wormery for a few years, and the worms moved to the top sometimes, depending on the weather and atmospheric conditions (ie. if rain was imminent, they move upwards to avoid drowning!) But also they move to the top, as they have already digested and 'worked' the lower layers. As you add new delicacies to the top of the bin, they move ever upward to feast! Composting worms are different to earth worms - who live at varying depths depending on their type. In nature, the composting worms live closer to the surface as their job is to digest fallen leaves and other treats on the surface of the soil.

Used hay is good for your heap, as it adds a more fibrous element. CAT (The Centre for Alternative Technology) swear by 'high fibre' heaps - adding loads of crumpled cardboard, paper towels etc. I have to say I have been using this method for over 6 years now - and have found the results imminently better than my old method of just composting green waste and kitchen material. My most successful heap is the one using my old guinea pig bedding (including shredded paper and old hay) almost exclusively!

...SO, in my humble opinion, your old hay will work a treat!

3. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks JarBax very informative [​IMG]
    So when I spread the lovely compost onto my borders should I include the worms or sort them out and keep them in the compost bin?

4. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Must have felt inspired by your post, as today, emptied my 'handy' compost bin (kept under the dining room window - so all I have to do is open the window, pull the string to open the lid, then chuck in the peelings!). The top 1/3 or so of it still had loads of worms working away, so I kept that back in a couple of trugs, then removed and distributed the rest on a border (lovely stuff!). There were still plenty worms in that - though not in the lowest third, I saved a few in with the 'kept' compost - but let the others loose with the compost. I suppose it makes sense to try and keep as many in the compost as possible - though I believe they will reproduce til they have an optimum community (clever little things!), so it doesn't matter too much if you miss a few dozen!

I must have had a spell of composting ALL my cardboard (instead of taking it to the recycling), as came across little identifiable pieces of cereal boxes etc! I am not too fussy about these things - so have little bits of purple and orange amongst the greenery - but you could throw them back in the heap for an extra composting if need be!