1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

worried

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by brazil, Sep 23, 2005.

1. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just heard there may be a frost got morning glory musa basjoo pennisetum rubrum and 15 tubs and nowhere to put them should of planned earlier fingers crossed ps i love autumn

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    The best thing you can do as a temp measure is pull them close to the house. The wall acts as a kind of storage radiator and will be a few degrees warmer than elswhere.

I saw the forecast too and didn't get the impression it was going to be a very hard frost even up here! [​IMG]

3. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just been out to check no frost my day will be spent sorting them out thankyou for reply would hate to lose any but no doubt it will happen this container thread is very good will be interesting to see problems and successes people have in different parts of the country :D :D

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I would make a point of getting some fleece, that way you have got it, if the sudden threat of a frost does occur. I will be doing the same today.

Nathan.

5. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    I do exactly as michaelmasdaisy does and extra covering if hard frost is expected. I have a very large cacti surviving in tub outside my patio doors south facing. no frost here yet. very dry summer and still very mild at night. last winter my lowest temp was -3c.

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I was out checking at 3-4 am and we definitely had frost!
    Reason I was out was because some little so and so's nicked my car yesterday evening and I didn't discover it till 2.30am when I was going to bed! So 3am I was out showing the nice policeman how they'd come in to the house to help themselves to the keys, closed the doors behind them, opened my gates and driven off with my pride and joy!!
    Guess what I was doing all day today! [​IMG]

7. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    so sorry to hear about that people like that should be sprayed with insecticide bloody parasites hope you get your car back i think that is the reason ilike plants and wildlife so much

8. Larburnum

Larburnum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a terrible thing to happen :( :( especially when you had spent the day polishing it. Do let us know if you get it back. I had the same experience, only they left my car keys and took my handbag, credit cards, money, address book etc. Caught burglar 1 week later, but never got anything back.

9. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    One evening about six years ago I was in the garden and caught a git trying to get into my shed,in panic he threw a brick which split my brow.It wasn't the four stitches that hurt in A&E, it was having two knuckle joints realigned! ;)

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Nice one Paladin - I trust that you were not charged with GBH

Jo - I would wish your pride and joy back unscathed, and the perpetrators ---- mmmmmmm I recall a curse and then thought twould be a bit strong for those here - so will think it rather than print it :D

11. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    No Fran, in fact the local bobbie let me keep the gold chain he found next day in the hedge (off property)where I had left the chap to "sleep" ;)

12. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  13. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    update on car: found 9am Saturday but before the police could get to it the local yobbery had torched it! [​IMG]

Ah well, guess that's life!! (or no! [​IMG])

14. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    "B******S"...C'mon Fran,invoke that incantation! :mad:

15. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just hope you get nice payout and buy another pride and joy and fran i would love to hear the curse