Would a clematis grow in this partial shade?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by davetherave, Mar 28, 2014.

1. davetherave

davetherave Gardener

Ratings:
    +148
    [​IMG]

This area gets early morning sun until about 11am I would like to grow something on the chain link fence.

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Hmm, not certain but I'll share my experience nonetheless.

I potted up a couple of clematis last year (great value from Morrison's by the way). I sited them near to my back porch, which gets sun for a couple of hours late morning, otherwise reasonably shady (until the height of summer when it may get an afternoon dousing). They bloomed the first season and are already showing signs of healthy bud growth right now.

I do know that clematis will "reach for the stars" and will find it's own raison d'ĂȘtre.

Which variety do you have in mind? (If any)
      What are the soil conditions like?
      Does it have to be a clematis or are you open to other suggestions?
      What would you most like? Evergreen/deciduous/seasonal? Colour/height, spread/exotic?

The more we know about what you have and what you would like to achieve, the greater the knowledge garnered and offered :)

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        A Clematis will grow in that area, Dave. But most Clematis like a certain amount of Sun in which to flower so depending on how much and deep the shade is will depend on how the Clematis grows and blooms. Clematis like to be planted fairly deeply, about 3 inches or more deeper than the pot level, and in fairly free draining soil. If you want a vigorous Clematis that will cover some area along your chain link there are quite a few but, [there's always a but!!:heehee:], they also flower at different times of the year so you will need to decide on when you want flowers. Giving them a regular feed of, say, Tomato Feed during the growing season will be of great benefit. I've got 104 Clematis, at the last count, of various varieties around the garden and I tend to mix them without regard to pruning rules and so usually get Clematis flowering nearly throughout the year.:dunno::snork:

• Like Like x 1
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,318
          I say yes a good tough one like Montana lots of choices as well

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • davetherave

davetherave Gardener

Ratings:
            +148
            Thanks for the replies everyone.
            M, I would be happy with an evergreen and will consider any suggestions. I was just thinking of Clematis because of is cover and growth rate and it looks pretty.

ARMANDII, If the front garden is anything to go by the soil is about 2ft deep then hits chalk so it drains well. Like yourself I am concerned that area is shady most of the time. Apart from five hanging baskets that area is devoid of colour so it would be nice to have something there.
            I have suggest to my wife we make a border and plant some shade tolerant plants there.She has to do all the grunt work because I cannot anymore so I always feel guilty suggesting things.
            We have a real problem with bindweed in that area but this year I am determined to dispatch it completely I have already killed a lot of it off.

Spruce, Montana was the one I was considering.

• Like Like x 1
            • trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
              +279
              I have 2 Clematis facing East East South, if that makes sense?? They get sun till about 11:30 ish.

Both have been growing & doing well with flowers. Unfortunately last year I had Clematis Wilt

on the Duchess of Edinburgh and so far no sign of regrowth this season. I planted both clematis about 3" deeper than pot so hopefully may grow. The other clematis Comtesse de Bouchaud is fine and budding. I think from what I read Wilt can affect the larger flowered clematis more on the larger flowered type. Having on wilt once on a big flowered one I cannot comment for sure.

The chain link is not very tall so you will have to attach the clematis to the fence for sure especially if you have a vigorous type and if you try to run clematis along link fence you may starve it of even more sun.

I only have 9 clematis so I bow to Armandii superior knowledge with 104 clematis!!! Great

• Like Like x 2
              • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                +12,318
                Hi Dave
                A good trick to get the bind weed out even if in a border is to put a bamboo cane in let it grow up the cane pinch out when it reaches the top , early August spray with glyphosate if no other plants around or if there is put throw away gloves on a and use a old sponge to squeeze on to the plant, you can squeeze the leaves gently just to bruise them before applying , it works a treat as the plant has little root with built up energy supplies as all the new growth is on the cane , then just leave alone

• Like Like x 2
                • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,834
                  Everyone here will tell you, trogre, that I know nothing!!!!:dunno::lunapic 130165696578242 5: But, Dave, :coffee::snork: you could try looking at the following

Clematis Bees Jubiliee, Cezanne, Comtesse de Bouchard, Angelique, Andromeda, Barbara Jackman, Dawn, Montana Freda, Hagley Hydrid, Montana Grandiflora, Montana Majorie, Montana Mayleen, and the alpina group wouldn't disappoint you either.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • davetherave

davetherave Gardener

Ratings:
                    +148
                    Thanks for the help and advice everyone it is much appreciated.Thank you trogre for the advice.
                    Spruce I have some glyphosate which is in a dab on dispenser I used it last year I didn't know about bruising the plant. I shall give it a go with the canes.

Thanks AMANDII I will have a look at them.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +13,962
                      The pink-flowered hybrids like Nelly Moser, Bees Jubilee etc are recommended for a shady spot otherwise the flowers fade horribly in hot sun! But a C. montana would make better coverage along the fence.

• Like Like x 2