Would love some help identifying these beautiful flowers

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Victoria Plum, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Hi everyone. I haven't been active on here for years, so hello! I used to be a regular but since building my own business I don't have much free time, and my garden has gone from 'well attended' to 'just about kept together'

My husband and I have been planning some changes. Given that we are lucky enough to have a huge amount of wildlife in our garden we would like to create some natural areas. This weekend I had a stall at Weald and Downland Open Air Museum and they have the most beautiful raised flower beds and flower meadow areas, but they are also on chalk, like me, so it was a real find for a gardener looking to create a similar look in a flower bed and natural area mix! I would be so grateful to anyone who can identify the following pictures. I asked staff but the gardeners weren't there and they only one they knew was echinacea, which wasn't one I needed identifying. Anyway the photos are numbered which might help. Thank you in advance. (PS - if anyone can spot any flowers to idenify in the backgrounds of the images that would be amazing too, the more help the better) ❤️❤️

1. IMG_8828.JPG
    2. IMG_8839.JPG
    3. IMG_8842.JPG IMG_8841.JPG
    4. IMG_8840.JPG
    5. IMG_8843.JPG IMG_8823.JPG IMG_8820.JPG
    6. IMG_8826.JPG

2. Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +957
    achillea
    salvia oestfriesland or possibly mainacht
    Sanguishorba
    Perovskia/russian sage

Enjoy your new planting. :)

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,228
  4. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,232
    1 achillea - have a look at any grass/lawn you have, you may spot some soft feathery foliage.... we have it growing naturally in our grass, both a white and soft pink form (don't use weed killers, or lawn food, and have very poor soil). Here we are on sand, but I'm fairly sure we had it when we lived with chalk over flint. One day I will have soil, one day!

Edited to add some quickly-taken photos (farmer is spreading silage on the field opposite!)
    [edited again. As a child, we used to call what is being spread "silage" or "slurry", interchangeably. I think it is correctly called "slurry" - anyway, liquid, sprayable cow manure. :dunno: at least it's not calf manure, then I would be battening down all the hatches!!]

IMG_3351.JPG
    What it looks like in mown grass, if not allowed to flower.

I tend to leave some areas of grass for it to flower, as it is very popular with insects...
    IMG_3350.JPG
    The soft pink form, with black currant leaves to the right, to give an idea of scale

IMG_3349.JPG
    The white form, with a few dandelion leaves bottom right, and white clover flowers, again to give an idea of scale.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    • Silver surfer

Ratings:
      +3,228
      Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Sanguisorba Red Thunder folks :)

• Silver surfer

Ratings:
      +3,228
    • Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,486
      I grow both Silver Surfer.......Tanna is very short; Pink Tanna is tall too but with white/pink/red flowers. Red Thunder has maroon flowers with no trace of white or pink and is a much taller plant. It is a beauty though with grasses, blue flowers or against a yellow background as in a yellow conifer :)

• Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
      +43
      Oh you are all absolutely amazing. Thank you so much. Will google all suggestions and see if I recognise them. Then to work out how to get them in the garden.. seeds, plants etc etc

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,486
      IMG_2537.JPG My S. Red Thunder.....been flowering for weeks; sways in the breeze just as grasses do

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,486
      IMG_2552.JPG Close up of the flowers......don't they look tempting like loganberries?:Wino:

• Like Like x 1
      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        image.jpeg

@Verdun would Sanguisorba officianalis Red Thunder be suitable as a standalone plant here? I took this at 10.30 today. I realise it dies down over the winter. The bushes either side might have to go. I haven't thought that far ahead yet.

G.

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,486
        It would need reasonably good soil that holds some moisture G. As you rightly said, it dies down in winter so nothing to see then but you could plant a few bulbs there for winter and spring colour.
        Check out the persicarias too.....Fat Domino for example has rich, red flowers on a generous size plant. Flowers non stop from late June to autumn. It too would fill that spot. Get something white flowered in there too for spectacular impact :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
          @Verdun looks good. This spot will be the backdrop for my play area. I thought I could give it a natural meadow look. What about
          Knautia macedonica
          Towards the front and something tall and grass like behind or between. Maybe some ground cover type plants at front that have meadow like flowers.

That's if I have enough room for that.

G.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          It's funny how Sanguisorbas have come into fashion after being somewhat neglected/not widely available. I have grown the common Burnet "Tanna" I think it is for years and then spotted a much taller pink variety in a friends garden and liked both the flowers leaves and habit ie doesn't need staking even tho it's tall:yes:. I got a piece from the friend and it's done very. That variety is Sanguisorba Pink Brushes (photo below) and with me flowers about now ie much later than Tanna. I did also get the white form (can't remember the variety) as I like white flowers. Big disappointment as far as I'm concerned. Grew very tall and was quite spindly, flowers weren't very white (know this sounds odd but they weren't a really dense white) so afraid that went on the compost heap!
          sangisorba.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017