1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you be interested in an intelligent irrigation system?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Davste, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Davste

Davste Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

I'm a student working on my thesis, and I'm planning to build a device which would learn the watering needs of your plants and water each plant species based on it's needs. It will be geared to be as easy to use as possible, even for gardening novices.

I need to prove that it's required, though - not that I'm trying to solve a problem which doesn't exist.
    You would really help me out by answering these few questions here:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KZQJZ9H
    I really appreciate it.
    Hope this is not against the forum rules in some way.

If I get this approved, I'll keep everyone interested posted with the progress.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Davste,

Welcome to Gardeners Corner:sign0016:

I'm approving the thread and thank you for asking:dbgrtmb:

3. Davste

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for the warm welcome :)

4. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,509
    Done! Welcome aboard Davste :sign0016:

As a novice gardener myself, I am not sure that I would have a need for an automatic system that watered depending on plant species, but rather one that simply waters when the soil needs it?

As you are designing it yourself, would it be worth considering if there would be any way to incorporate feeding in alongside the water (such as a reservoir that the user fills once a week/month etc which would then dilute and deliver the feed as appropriate)?

5. Davste

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello!

Thank you for your question :)
    Plants need the soil at different moisture levels, let's take two extreme examples: A Cactus will need the soil much more dry level than a lettuce would need it (this is just an example, nobody would grow these alongside).

A very brief summary of the idea is that this device will keep the soil moisture at the best level for the plant by monitoring it and using a series of electronically controlled valves to water it.
    In addition, say you are growing an african violet and anthurium - but as a novice, you have no idea how much water they need. You can connect the device to your computer, tell it you are growing "African Violet" and "Anthurium". It will then download the ideal soil moisture levels for those plants from the internet, and then you can plug it back in next to your plants and it will keep the soil moisture at the ideal level. As for outdoor plants, you don't need to worry about rain and so on, because since it's monitoring moisture levels, if the plants have already had their share of water, it won't re-water them (unlike a timer based system).

Another addition to the system is that it can learn from you. Set it up, water your plants normally for a few weeks, while it's monitoring the ideal moisture levels for the soil. Then, you flick a switch and it will start watering based on the moisture levels it collected in that time. As before, overwatering (due to rain for example) would not be a problem. This way, it will be watering when the soil needs it.

With regards to the feeder and nutrients, it's something I'm definitely considering.

6. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,509
    Sounds like you have it sussed to me!

The only other thing I would suggest adding would be some form of zonal control - for example, I have baskets, bags and planters at the front of the house, more at the side, more again on the patio and then that brings me onto the veggie bags, the greenhouse crops and then the borders - - it would be a pain in the bum to have to buy a system for each area, so one that was able to cope with multiple areas would be better.

I'd reckon your biggest obstacle is going to be getting it made to sufficient quality whilst getting it at a price that is tempting enough to persuade people to part with their beer tokens.

I wish you well with it though - if the price is right, you could very well have your first customer.

7. Davste

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm aiming to have it available pretty cheaply, I tried asking for similar systems and the local center quoted me a price in thousands, heh :)
    I aim to make the system accept multiple species at once (each species or area of plants will need it's own spaghetti tubing, electronic valve and soil moisture sensor). This is all inexpensive equipment. The wires to the sensors can be as long as you need, but you need to pass both wires and a spaghetti pipe tube to each area :P

Just to give you a vague idea, I'm paying around €90 to create a prototype for two species. Additional hardware is cheaper, around €20 per species - this is around the cost for a good soil moisture sensor and the elctronic valve per species (excluding the pump and wiring). Each device can only take 23 sensors, I can see that being a problem for large greenhouses and such, I'll need to see how I can increase that number.

I'm really looking forward to working on this thesis! :D

8. Davste

Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm, someone strongly disagrees that the system would save them time, but spends 30-60 minutes watering plants, every day. I would be very interested in knowing why, wouldn't the system save you those 30 minutes each day? Or does the initial learning curve/setting up time discourage you?

9. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,509
    Might it be just as beneficial to use those 23 sensors to run 23 different zones then?

So, for example, in the case of my greenhouse I would have tomatoes, cucumbers, and capsicum (during the summer); one sensor taking a representative sample from one of the tomato pots, with the associated watering tubing able to water X-number plants (perhaps extendible to the desired number of plants using some sort of valve that opens when the extension tubing is inserted) would mean that one of the 23 available 'zones' has been spoken for. I'd have thought that 23 reasonably accurately controlled zones would have been enough for most domestic users - granted, its perhaps not delivering to each individual plant in the exacting way you seem to intend, but in terms of actual using the thing, its likely to be more than sufficient.

10. Davste

Ratings:
    +2
    That's exactly what I was intending to do - rather than having a single sensor and valve for EACH plant, having a sensor for each area of plants (of the same species) would likely be enough.

I was more thinking of large greenhouses that have hundreds of plants, such as you would find in plant centers. In this case, they'll probably need separate devices. For domestic purposes though, it's probably more than enough. I'll have to try it to find out.

Also, for really sensitive and expensive indoor plants, some people may find it worthwhile to have a sensor for each of these plants. I'm not sure yet.

11. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,509
    Ahhhh, sorry - I picked you up wrong.

If you can produce a system that has 23 configurable zones, with the ability to extend the piping to accommodate a number of plants/watering points (up to 40 maybe) on each zone, and include feeding (switchable by zone) then that would be a cracking system for a domestic user.

One other thing that springs to mind - it may be worthwhile having some 'generic' selections available in the species list (Hanging baskets, patio flower planters, vegetable bag, flower border, vegetable border etc)

• Like Like x 2
    • Davste

Ratings:
      +2
      Thank you very much for your suggestions!

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,509
      Pleasure - just remember the free shares in your company for GC members when you hit the big time :dbgrtmb:

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,177
      Hi Davste,
      hope you like it here in Gardeners Corner. I wish you every success with your thesis,
      Jenny namaste

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,283
      Survey done
      Now we just tremble at the price it will be available :-)

Jack McHammocklashing