1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you mind neighbour growing rose on your garage wall?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by SuzFlowers, Aug 26, 2021.

1. SuzFlowers

SuzFlowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +236
    Hi Folks, this is the first time I’ve started a threat, but I would be glad of your advice. I have come into possession of Rosa Madame Albert Carriere, and have since discovered it’s a climber which grows to be huge. I have a small garden, in a newish built house, so although detached we are cheek by jowl with all the other neighbours. From researching this rose, it’s clear the best place for it would be on a large bare wall in our back garden, which is the side wall of our neighbours’ detached garage. The wall faces south and currently has my 2 small raised beds I grow potatoes in front of it, but nothing growing up it. I am in lowland Scotland with clay loam.
    Anyway, the question I ask is, would this rose be successful in my alternative fence locations of 6ft north, east or south facing fence? (But fence doesn’t get sun until afternoon due to shade from our house)or do you think it would be acceptable to ask my neighbours if I can grow it up their wall?
    What would I need to do to the wall to make this happen? I wouldn’t wish to do it if any harm would be caused to their wall. They are good neighbours. Thanks for your help.
    photos are: East facing wall: north facing wall: south facing wall : south facing fence but shaded until early afternoon. 9B42B65A-D747-4364-9697-A323C01FDC36.jpeg 82D8A366-DA02-492D-A7BE-B88290960DF8.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. SuzFlowers

SuzFlowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +236
    Sorry I got mixed up and have described my 3 fences as walls! The only wall I have is the garage one shown-doh!

3. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,508
    Probably best to stick to the fence and let it grow along the side and top horizontally. Rosa M.A.Carrie is a monster of a climbing rose it will quite easily outgrow the supports its on now . As long as it gets around least 3-4 hours of direct sunlight during the growing season it should be fine on either fence .

You'd have to drill into the wall to attach adequate supports for that size of plant , I would assume the neighbour probably wouldn't agree to this .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,611
      If they are good neighbours, why not ask them and describe what you want to do and maybe they could think it over and get back to you?

Me, I'd be okay with it. Some ivies no, but roses yes. And you could offer to send them pictures since it is a wall they don't see. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,332
        Mme Alfred Carrière stands shade, so that opens up the options :) As others have said, you'll need strong, horizontal wires to tie it into.
        On the plus side, it's got rambler 'blood', so makes long, flexible stems that can be curved over to make it produce flowers all along their length.
        I'd ask the neighbours if they're OK with you fixing wires on the wall. There's nothing to lose. If the answer's 'no', then go for one of the fences.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,465
          I also think there is no harm in asking. If it is a vigorous climber I would guess that a good way to support it without much of a disturbance to the wall is to put in screw eyes and run some heavy duty wire through them. You could offer to provide them with cut flowers for their vase.

• Like Like x 2
          • SuzFlowers

SuzFlowers Gardener

Ratings:
            +236
            Thanks for all the replies folks. Very helpful indeed. I maybe just need to pluck up the courage to ask, although I’m not sure how the bit about drilling into their wall would be received. Perhaps I should plant if on the long north fence and see how it goes. Oh dear, decisions. They are not into gardening at all themselves, else I would have chanced asking about planting things up the wall before now, as I always imagine other gardeners would want people to have the benefit of a warm sunny south facing wall.
            I’ve actually been daft in the past as they are the 3rd neighbours we’ve had at that side in 12 years. I should have been sneaking in screws, trellis panels and plants between owners!!

• Like Like x 2
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,932
              To cut down a bit on drilling and fixing might be an idea to fix maybe three decent sized timbers to the wall which you can then fix wires or trellis.
              I certainly wouldn't bother me if someone did it to my wall as long as it was done sensibly .

Just a thought, but is that wall built directly on your boundary?

• Like Like x 3
              • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,611

Oh dear, I thought you were talking about perhaps putting trellises in the ground and "leaning", if necessary, them against the wall. Not drilling! Can't you put in posts in the ground to create a trellis just a bit away from the wall?

I would never agree to someone drilling into one of my buildings!

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                  Ratings:
                  +7,624
                  Or...concrete in a couple of tall wooden posts with some trellis like timber in between - and grow the rose up/over this.

It's not a good idea to plant close to a wall - not much soil there and probably hit the wall foundation. Plant further away from the wall and you're good to go. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
                  • Blue arbour

Blue arbour Gardener

Retired and loving it
                    Ratings:
                    +390
                    Yes, I, too, was going to suggest that you could construct some trellising/fencing in front of the garage wall without attaching anything to the wall itself, and use fence posts for the panels to go in. You could then add wire and fixings to the panels rather than the wall. That way the rose has something to climb up and along without you having to do any drilling into their wall at all, but you hide the bareness of the wall. Hope you manage to sort something out, and let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 2
                    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +118,465
                      Of course, you could also grow, alongside the rose, Hydrangea anomala petiolaris (climbing Hydrangea) and if it is sheltered you can even grow H.seratifolia, which is evergreen. They're both self-climbing and look good.

• Like Like x 2
                      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +85,932
                        20years ago my neighbour wanted to build an extension and he wanted to build as far to the boundary as he could.
                        I said I would agree as long as I could use the wall to support my garage roof.
                        We both agreed and it went ahead.
                        I've drilled into his wall many times since then.
                        If it's a proper cavity wall, then there is no real problem.

If it's just a modern timber built place faced up with bricks I still can't see a problem.

• Informative Informative x 3
                        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                          +28,997
                          That's what I've been wondering.

If there is a projecting eaves detail detail with guttering at the top of that wall (and projecting foundations under it), in the absence of an easement for the projection(s) in your Title Deeds/Land Certificate, the strip of ground under/over any projections is most likely the property of the owner of the garage, and if that was the case you would also require permission for the planting and tending of the rose. All very complicated, and potentially even more complicated if there's a change of ownership and everything hasn't been legally agreed in writing.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                            Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
                          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +52,594
                            Your neighbours would also have to check their house insurance if they intend to give you permission. Attaching something to the garage wall may invalidate it because you are not the house owner.

• Like Like x 1