1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you prune a wind burnt Acer?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jasmine star, May 26, 2020.

1. Jasmine star

Jasmine star Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,960
    Hi all,
    I have 2 Acers. One in a pot and one in the ground. I'm not sure of the exact names. One is green and the other a purple/plum colour. (Apologies) :whistle: Both are around 2 ft in height and are doing well. Last week both got pretty badly wind burnt during the bad weather. Would you prune the wind burnt sections off? I have never pruned them.
    Thanks in advance :dbgrtmb:

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Good question IMO.

Container homed subjects tend to attract ones eye more than the usual planted specimen. So in a way, even a tiny brown or black mark, or some deformity is somewhat magnified. So when looking at the plant, your first view is this blot on the landscape.

We may not be aware of it but. All the time, leaves and growths are going through many natural changes. No direspects to anyone but. We can often wrongly identify plant problems especially trying to seperate natural forms of die-back, perhaps the odd splash of some chemical, the possible onset of bacterial or viral infection.

Quite often, thankfully the problem is simple. So act accordingly. 'Windburn' as you call it can be a different subject. Often the sudden burnt look of a hedge can cause problems. The sudden burned like patch in a hedge. Big question mark. Is it wind-burn or is it something else. Please if you are not cerain or qualifide to diagnose. Ask before hacking out lumps of foliage etc.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,328
      @Jasmine star I would wait a few weeks and see what natural recovery there was and then remove any bits that were dead.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        I would leave the Acer alone, Jasmine, as although it might look pretty and be causing you concern it will recover. I have found that as Acers mature they become less prone to wind/sun burn and your heart rate doesn't increase!!:dunno::heehee::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Jasmine star

Jasmine star Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,960
        Thank you all for taking the time to reply. :love30: I will leave them alone and see how they get on. :blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1