1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wrapping up tender plants

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by JWK, Dec 30, 2011.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I've left it long enough so yesterday I brought everything I could move into the greenhouse. I've installed my soil warming cable to give a bit of heat on one section (that section will be covered in bubble wrap and fleece when the bad weather arrives).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not entirely sure what to do with the Ensetes (they are the tenderest plants I have), I might bring them in the house or move them to the heated section
    [​IMG]

Outside I've wrapped up my bananas with rockwool (loft insulation) and fleece:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the first time I've done this so it's all a bit of an experiment for me. I do wonder if vermin are going to make a home in my wrapped bananas or if they the plants will rot away inside if it gets too wet :scratch:

It looks a bit bare now in my exotic border, there are some very small Hellebores just starting to flower:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
      Ratings:
      +2,368
      You could keep the Tetrapanax papyrifer outside I would have thought. Nice time to do it though while it's still fairly frost free and before any frost is due. Mine are still all outside, I am going to have to think about dragging them in soon.

Don't worry about your Ensetes, they are tender but there isn't a whole lot you can do, unless you have a heated greenhouse.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,035
        As I understand it Ensetes need to be dry, I've got a few small plants in an unheated garage, they are almost bone dry now, we will see.

I've often thought of using loft insulation for nanas, but alawys errd away, thinking it might be a magnet for water. I see you have covered that with plastic, I hope its effective on keeping the damp out.

I'm assuming you took the bricks off the soil warming cable as you put the old compost on top.
        I'm sure in these days of heating bills those cables are the way to go, I might put one in my allotment greenhouse next year, bearing in mind the cost of parafin.

• Like Like x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Would it be a better idea to use breathable roofing membrane round the Banananananas? Stop em sweating?

• Like Like x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,035
            Not sure what your referring to Ziggy but sounds like a good idea

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            Good job John :dbgrtmb: Excellent examples on different methods to protect tender plants.
            You do realise with your very thorough plant protection programme and my capital purchase of a snow shovel and a single bag of rock salt , we have virtually guaranteed the mildest winter on record !:happydance:

• Like Like x 3
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,169
              Yes I could have left the t. rex outside but it didn't do too well so I want to move it elsewhere :dbgrtmb: Going by what you and pete say I think I'll bring the ensetes jndoors once they have dried out.

• JWK

Ratings:
              +46,169
              The outside plants are covered in hort fleece, not plastic, so they should breathe OK. I have got some spare membrane ziggy left over from my roofing (pete: it's the modern equivalent of felt - it keeps out water but allows through air). I thought about using it, I'll wait and see how soggy the rockwool gets first.

• Like Like x 1
              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                I thought you might have some left over, thats why I mentioned it:dbgrtmb:

Mind you, shouldn't listen to me, I killed my Bananana :DOH:

• Like Like x 1
                • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,593
                  bananas should be protected the following way:

get chicken wire and straw .... make a circular cage with the chicken wire, size to encircle the stem, but make sure that it is at least 10 inches bigger all around the stem

stuff straw between the stem and wire cage (some guys use the stuff sold at pet shops for hamsters and rabbits .... use a broom stick to compress the straw

then, use an old chimney pot or similar ontop of the cage to stop rain getting onto the top of stem

also add lots of loose straw around the root base, then add a thick layer of well rotted farmyard manure ontop of the straw

there are many methods, but from what I have read, many guys prefer this method

• Like Like x 2
                  • JWK

Ratings:
                    +46,169
                    *dim* I saw the method you describe at the RHS Wisley garden, except they use plastic at the top to keep the rain out. I suppose you can use whatever you have to hand, straw is actually more expensive than rockwool I found, and rockwool is supposed to discourage vermin, which is my main worry (neighbour has chickens which have attracted rats into all our gardens).

• Like Like x 1
                    • stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
                      Ratings:
                      +2,368
                      If you keep the ensetes cool but dry as suggested above they will survive but not grow which would be more beneficial because they can grow exceptionally fast, and indoors in a heated room between now and April or May, they will put out some considerable growth.. they may get too big for the room.

If you can have it in a cool but frost free, damp free area like a garage, then they should be ok, maybe just put a fan on them to mix the air up on the coldest nights.

Then again if you don't mind the plant growing substantially over winter then perhaps indoors is a good idea afterall.