Xmas presents

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Helofadigger, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys I just wanted to know if any of you are as naughty as me?

As some of you may know I do so hate waste and do like to recycle as much 'stuff' as I can and that includes Christmas presents I'm sure you know what's coming :hehe:

Some of the gifts we get from family tend to be not quite right for us and so I recycle them and give them away the following Christmas to another unsuspecting soul although you do have to keep a check whats coming in and from where otherwise someone is bound to get unset so far I'ave managed to not make any mistakes... yet!:wink:

I'm not being ungrateful but some gifts you just know who it would match better than yourself and it seems such a waste gifts sitting in the back of a wardrobe.

So come on peeps be honest have you ever done the same? Hel.xxx.

2. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Not guilty ma-lord... honest
    But I know a few in the family who have...
    I think It was case on storing the unwanted in the bottom draw until next year.
    Bath salts was a popular item to do the rounds.
    robert

3. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Oooohhhaaahhh Helen, what a naughty girl! Seriously though, I think a lot of people have done it.

Capney, bath salts:) Yeah we all know that one.

Not Xmas stories but....
    My husbands mum won some smellies in a raffle at her sheltered accomodation once and asked me if i'd like them. I took them but honestly they must have been given to one of the residents when they were young!

Here's a sad story. I crocheted my mum a bed jacket once. It was a lovely heather colour and I was so pleased cos I'm cr*p at knitting etc and I'd actually finished this & it looked nearly like it was supposed to! Anyway, she gave it to my niece as a present! I was gutted!

And she gave her my Tiny Tears & the clothes for it! She sounds horrible doesn't she but she was a good mum and just cos I was around 19 didn't mean I didn't want my doll:)

So the moral is - make sure you're not found out when you do your 'recycling':)

cheers

4. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Guilty as charged but I also make sure that I do not recycle to the same person.
    I also buy things when I see them at a good price and keep them to give as presents.

I just hate waste and this way the items do get used.:gnthb:

5. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Not done it yet hel, but must admit I have got lots of gifts in my wardrobe which I have never used. Seems ashame if someone would like them. 02

6. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I call it de-cluttering.

7. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I could never remember what was off who , or should that be whom?
    Any way I elther take them back to the shop and get a refund so I can get something I want or
    Sell them on ebay. :wink:

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I use everything I get given, from bath salts to drawer liners, so there`s nothing left that I would pass off as my own thought and effort at Christmas. It`s ungrateful-sorry if it sounds preachy, but it`s a no no for me. If I caught someone doing it with a gift I have given, then they`re off the list from then on.

9. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thats O.K if you get sensible presents.
    What if stuff is the wrong size or you are allergic or it's just not you.
    I could never see me using draw liners or bath salts. :lollol:

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Give them to charity, at least you keep the karma right. Passing them off as your own effort and expense is at odds with the true meaning of the time of year.

11. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't think I ever passed anything on, although I have been tempted a few times. The worst was a tea service where teapot, and cups where the shape of Tweety (yep, no kidding). But I kept it faithfully for years until I moved to Germany and had to discard lots of things because transporting stuff was so complicated and expensive.

However now that I have to basically disband 99% of my household I suppose I will give many of my FAVOURITE things to friends and family. I know they are beautiful things, and who will like them, and they remain in my life, sort of.

12. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I've "re-gifted" as its known in the States. Years ago I was working in a hotel and as was the tradition, all the staff got given a Christmas gift by the hotel. This year it was a brass carriage clock-not my style at all! So I packed it up and sent it to my mum for Christmas that year. She loved it! Apparently it stopped working last year too. I've never had the heart to tell her it was only me re-gifting!

I don't see a problem with doing it. Like many, I get stuff I really don't want and I think throwing it out is such a waste. If its not worth giving away I'll drop it off at the charity shop.

Now here's a question-anyone else sold unwanted gifts on eBay?

13. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,381
    xmastree I re-gift whenever I can. I have so much "good stuff" in my basement it is my first stop when thinking of a gift. This Saturday I have a wedding gift to give, and to the basement I go.
    Have not sold anything on ebay, and thats not for trying.

14. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Guilty, but only one a two, they were things that I had when I was in business off reps
    I would not do that if they came from my immediate family, unless mrs j buys me another box of tissues fcdnc

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanx guys for views it's nice to know I'm not alone!:hehe:

Sandra sweetie about your knitted gift that just wasn't on!:( I always keep gifts that I know has been made I mean so much time and effort has been given to a home made gift and it's that kind of gift I like more than anything else...no I'm not jesting I really do!:)

Lol about the dolls I have to admit a guilty secret I collect Pippa and Patch dolls from the 70's please don't tell anyone.:o

Init sister I too buy gifts way before time if it's at a good price and I have become quite a hack at removing sale stickers from gifts :thumb:
    Hel.xxx.