1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Year 2 wildflower area

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Mel03, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Mel03

Mel03 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, I posted last year about my experiment starting a wildflower area ( not that wild l, i kept adding plants and what not) . It was beautiful and I cut it down at the end of summer a bit late I think. left it a few days and then removed the cuttings as it was getting wet. I feel they probably didn't have time to dry and drop very much so I collected so many seeds myself, but didn't dry them properly and they started to go mouldy. I chucked them in the area anyway.

I was just following what id read, I think the idea is cut it down and let some seeds drop, but don't leave it to rot as you don't want ultra fertile soil? Not sure I'm just a beginner.

Anyway this area is currently looking very very thick with grasses, I did pull a few huge clumps up but now I just don't know if I should sit and wait or dig it all over and start again. I'll be gutted if its a rubbish display and I could have done something.

P. S I just read a very similar thread but i don't think it covered the thick grasses side of things.

If it helps, I know roughly at least one of the 3 mixes I sowed last year:

Summer Pheasant's Eye, Common Corncockle, Rose of Heaven, Peach Blossom, Blue Angel, Common Daisy, Hare's Ear, Cornflower, Siberian Wallflower, Innocence, Chinese forget-me-not, California Poppy, Bird's Eyes, Baby's Breath, Flax, Blue Lupin, Forget me Not, Baby Blue Eyes, Basil, Evening Primrose, Common Poppy, White Mignonette, Dill, Oxeye Daisy and Lady's Lace.

Not sure what is likely to come back.

Sorry for the ramble. In summary... To ensure a good display this year, is it better to dig it over and start a fresh? I could then make sure to cut it down at a different time this year to allow it time to set seed. Or is it worth leaving it, and just seeing what comes back?

Thank you to anyone who read this far!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +44,516
      Usually in a wildflower mix there's a mix of perennial and annual, not sure if there's any perennial in that mix. I'd dig up the grasses and perhaps put some seed in its place.